[3830] Stew Perry K7NU SO/LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Stew Perry K7NU SO/LP
From: scotty@tonks.com (WA2DFI)
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 10:38:59 +0000
Vital stats:

call: K7NU
operator: WA2DFI
class: Single Op
power: LP
grid: DM44
qsos: 179
score:1870 points

K7NU Topbanders' Club Report, 1999 Stew Perry TBDC
or "Are you SURE Field Day isn't in December?"

I arrived at Horned Toad Acres, AZ, W7GNP's mountainous summer QTH, about
2130Z Saturday to commence setup of the quarter wave balloon antenna and
station in one of the FD trailers. It was looking like it would be clear
and cold that night, so I wanted everything ready by 0000Z.  This was not
to be!

I got the station all set up: power hooked up, rig/computer set up and,
most importantly, the heater warmed up! I even had the bed made up in the
unlikely event that it would be needed! It was only 2300Z; plenty of time
to fly the balloon, especially since Jim had left me a nice, big pulley
atop "ye olde balloon supporte pole".

There had been a "gentle" breeze blowing all afternoon. My customary 8 ft
diameter balloons had been back-ordered in November, so I was going to try
out one of the16 ft "backup" models.  I usually only inflate them to about
half size (4 ft) anyway, so I figured I would have plenty of extra room in
the larger model. HOLY HELIUM! 16 ft is BIG! That breeze took to my balloon
like a wouff-hong to a DX-hog! It was all I could do to keep it off the
ground, out of the bushes, in my hand and get it attached to my precious
"aerial wyre"!

After the ordeal, I ran in and commenced to operate, only to find that my
calls were answered with either dead air or CQ CQ ... well, you get the
picture. Now we're talking LOUD stations that don't even hear a PEEP! Back
outside to re-inspect the antenna, and oh noooooooo! It looks like an
inverted "L" with no vertical section! (What's that, a semi-inverted "I"?)
AND it was caught in the pine tree about 30' from its far end. Now pine
trees have things on them called needles.  They are called that for a good
reason. That reason was foremost in my mind while gazing at my one
thousandth of an inch thick neoprene balloon bobbing about just inches away
from the 10,000 sharp, green "contest stoppers"!

After an eternity (who keeps track of time at moments like this?) I managed
to free the wire from the tree. It was obvious, however, that more lift was
needed. The 16 ft balloon was much heavier and presented a much bigger
surface area to the wind. I miraculously managed to haul it down and put in
the rest of my tank of helium. I now had at least 5 lb of net lift and it
was getting pretty tiring wrestling with this 7 ft behemoth. Even with the
added lift, the "vertical" was never more than 30 degrees above horizontal.
 It was still coming dangerously close to those "contest stoppers". At this
point, it was "40 deg and getting colder". OK, OK, you east coast guys can
laugh, but I'm from the desert. Cold is anything below 90F. Fishing for
owls in a 40F breeze is not for me!

I decided that it was time. Damn the needles, full QRQ ahead! Until about
0700Z when the wind let up, I was living QSO by QSO, waiting for that loud
"boom" that would signal the end of the 1999 Stew Perry TBDC for me. But it
never came. All through the night, as the antenna got more vertical, it
just worked better.

Ah, topband, what a band you are.

And what a great contest! Stew's sprit lives on!

Thanks to all the Boring crew for their hard work, and thanks to W7GNP for
the generous use of "ye olde balloon supporte pole" and the surrounding area.

73,
Scotty WA2DFI, op at K7NU