[3830] NAQP SSB W6YX Multi

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB W6YX Multi
From: mikeh@airflash.com (mikeh@airflash.com)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 22:55:43 -0500 (EST)
                     North America QSO Party - SSB

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N6DE, W6KNS, W6LD, N7MH
Station:

Class: Multi
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:      8      6
   80:     70     27
   40:    196     51
   20:    310     54
   15:    341     48
   10:    367     42
----------------------
Total:   1292    228  =  294,576

Comments:

After making zero Q's on 160 in the CW contest single-op, we resolved to get a
160M antenna up for this one so we'd get a few mults.  Unfortunately, with
everyone's schedules we didn't get a dipole up until late Saturday afternoon.
When we finally tried to load it, we discovered that there was a short
somewhere in the feedline.  By then the rain and wind were pretty vicious on
top of our hill, so nobody wanted to go out to fix it.

While flipping the antenna switch, we noticed that our PRO67A (a 40 through 10
multiband yagi) brought in signals on 160 that significantly moved the
S-meter.
 So we tried loading it and got a 1.3:1 SWR through a matchbox.  We worked 8
stations in 6 states on 160 with this set-up.  We also tried loading our 80M
inverted vee on 160, but nobody heard us, and the signals were weaker.

I thought we'd done well on 10, 15, and 20 until I saw NR6O's score (great
job,
guys).  We only moved a few stations to other bands to enhance our
multipliers,
which could have been much greater if we'd done that better.  10 meters had a
lot of stations on, but we missed most of the W1's and New Jersey there.  We
learned some lessons in this one and hopefully will do better next time.

See you all in the next one.

-Mike, N7MH

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/