[3830] KE9NA Jan VHF SS Single Op Low Power Score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KE9NA Jan VHF SS Single Op Low Power Score
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 23:24:43 -0600
Call: KE9NA
State: Illinois
Operator: Jon Ogden, KE9NA
Grid: EN52UD

Bands: 6M, 2M, 220 (FM), 432

Scores by band:

Band         QSOs       Points        Mults      Total for Band
6             62          62           16             992
2             93          93           19            1767
220           18          36            4             144
432           35          70            9             630

TOTALS:      208         261           48

Total Claimed Score:  12,528

Equipment: FT-847, Azden PCS6000H, Kenwood TM3530, Yaesu FT-7400
AMPS: Mirage Bricks on 2M and 220 MHz, RF Concepts Brick on 432
Power Output: 6M - 100 W, 2M - 145 W, 220 - 80 W, 432 - 80 to 90 W
Antennas were all around 45 to 50 feet above ground.

Antennas:

6M - 2 Par OA-50's stacked at 12 feet apart
2M - KLM 22 element circularly polarized and Ringo Ranger for FM
220 - Ringo Ranger
432 - KLM 40 element circularly polarized and KLM 27 element vertical pol

CLUB: Badger Contesters  (Sorry SMC guys.....)

Comments: Marc, N8KWX and I usually go roving for this contest.  However,
this year for multiple reasons, we decided to not rove.  Good thing probably
cause Saturday it snowed big time here and Sunday was rather cold!  So I
stayed at home and had a blast.  First time I worked a VHF contest or much
terrestrial VHF at all since I got my OSCAR beams up.  My FT-847 performed
flawlessly.  Much better than my old FT-290, 690 and 790 rigs.
Unfortunately, the bands were kinda poopy other than the Aurora Scatter on
Saturday!  I don't have the power or gain on 6M or 2M to really take
advantage of the Aurora Scatter we had.  I heard lots of folks, but just
couldn't work them.  It was very frustrating!  432 seemed rather blah all
weekend.  No real E-Skip to speak of on 6M except for one really sporadic
bit just before the end of the contest which allowed me to work W2BZY in
EL98.  Other than that - not much.  Heard a little other E-skip on 6, but
too quick to work anyone.  My other problem is that I live in somewhat a
valley with a lot of hills around me.  It's like putting a 30 dB attenuator
in your coax!  Lastly, I guess I'll have to try to get a 220 transverter and
beam sometime in the future so I can take more advantage of that band.  Good
to hear a bunch of guys on 220 FM though.  Perhaps with all the new HTs and
mobiles the band will make a comeback.

I am very pleased considering this was my first single op effort from my QTH
in this contest and also considering my geographic situation.  I am quite
happy.

That's it.  Sorry for the rambling.

73,

Jon