[3830] CQ160 CW AA1K SOHP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW AA1K SOHP
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (jon.zaimes@dol.net)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 11:37:55 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ 160 Meter Contest, CW

Call: AA1K
Operator(s): AA1K
Station: AA1K

Class: SOHP
Operating Time (hrs): 33

QTH: DE

QSOs: 1027  States/Provinces: 56  Countries: 45  Score: 338,350

Comments:

Seemed slow to Europe the first night. On Saturday I had a good pace
going to Europe until 0450z when the band seemed to fold and noise level
that sounded like a persistent line noise problem came up at same
time. Band came back a bit after 0600z.

Most excitement was the early morning openings to VK/ZL and one JA on SW
path Saturday, and working NL7Z, KH2/K4SXT, XZ0A and two JAs Sunday
between 1129-1202z. Heard dozens of JAs on Sunday, starting about 1100z
and on the SW path; some shifted to short path right before sunrise
(1210z). KH2 and XZ0 also were on the SW path.

Missed Neb., NDak., VY1, VY2, VO2 and VE8

Nice workout for the station that I've been building the past few months:
9 Beverages (500-880 feet), 100-ft Rohn 25 Series-Fed Vertical with hundreds
of radials (ran out of time to get the parastic elements working right, though
they did seem to help on the SW path to Asia).

FT1000MP (with only the stock filters the first night -- Inrad order arrived
Saturday and I installed them before sundown -- BIG difference!), TS940S (my
"left ear" receiver, 4-1000 GG amp.

73/Jon AA1K
on 12 acres in rural central Delaware

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/