[3830] CQ160cw N6RO SOHP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ160cw N6RO SOHP
From: kenkeeler@jazznut.com (ken keeler)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 17:27:43 -0800

  CQ 160 SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 28-Jan-00, 29-Jan-00, 30-Jan-00

    Callsign Used : N6RO         Operator : N6RO

    Category : SOHP Default Exchange : 599CA

        Team/Club : NCCC

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Countries

  160CW      656         643       2258      52        18

 Totals      656         643       2258      52        18

    Final Score = 158060 points.

STUFF: FT1000MP, ALPHA76; Wire 4 Square, 1/4 wave vert noise sense
antenna, ANC-4, 3 beverages; TRLog

GOOD, BAD, UGLY:  Good band condx Fri nite, 6 hour JA opening, netting 83 JAs.
Not as good Sunday morning, only two hours and spotty, netting only 9 more
JAs.  Good opening to the Pacific both nights.
To counter an intermittent power line noise to the NE, I converted one element
of my 80m 4SQ to a 160m vertical as a sense antenna for my noise canceller.
 It
worked OK on the S8 noise until the fog rolled in at 02Z Friday nite. FIVE
hours of 20 over 9 to the NE during primetime.  The only way I could work
anything was with the noise canceller.  After six hours, I was 150 Qs behind
last year, and never caught up on Saturday night.  The noise went away with
the
fog in time for the JA runs.  My motivation returned.
Saturday night was OK, with not as good propagation, but less powerline noise
and less activity.  I looked forward to the JA opening to start at 09Z.  It
didn't, until 1230Z. I looked forward to the East Coast Sunrise, but at
1130Z a
WX front went through, starting rain static on all antennas and kicking off a
nearby electric fence noise.  That crap lasted for an hour, and I could now
hear JA, but signals not as good, and less activity.  The only high point of
this disappointing morning was getting XZ0A(SW path at 1508Z). I started on my
end-of-the-contest hot saki an hour early!  2001 can only be better.  N6RO