[3830] CQ160 CW WO1N SOLP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW WO1N SOLP
From: wo1n@arrl.net (wo1n@arrl.net)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 00:43:24 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ 160 Meter Contest, CW

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SOLP
Operating Time (hrs): 13

QTH: MA

QSOs: 355  States/Provinces: 44  Countries: 20  Score: 66,176

Comments:

Equipment: FT1000D, Inv-L @ 55', Shielded Loop, CT

A business trip, birthday party, busted loop and mental weakness all conspired
to keep this one out of the record books (;-)). Band conditions were great.
Got going about 0200Z the first night after assisting in my son's Phase 1 party
(you know, the one with all the neighborhood kids), but my butt was dragging
from a couple of days on planes so I pulled the plug at around 0730Z. Spent
Saturday putting the loop back together, the wind ain't gonna break the mast no
more! Did about a couple of hours right around sunset working SP7GIQ at 2214,
the earliest I've ever worked EU from my station. Worked a local friend who
must have then spotted me on the cluster because I suddenly had a pile-up of
fellow YCCC'ers that went on for a few minutes, that was fun!

After a couple hour break, I started the last push (0330Z) intending to go the
distance. Either the rebuilt shielded loop or the band conditions were superb
as EU could be found up and down the band at all times. Spent an inordinate
amount of time trying to work one of the 3 HA's camped out in the DX window. I
Eventually got one of them, but they all seemed to be having trouble hearing.
Around 1000Z the last 10 rate was hovering around a whopping 5 so I decided to
sack out on the shack floor for an hour. Set the alarm and promptly slept
through the alarm and sunrise, woke up around 1230Z, Aaargggh!

Missed lots, maybe 'cause the loop was hot: 4X4, KH, YU, XE, EA8, OM. Sure wish
I was around for the sunrise opennings by the sound of it.

CU in the next one,

Ken
WO1N
WO1N@ARRL.NET