[3830] CQ WW 160 RU1A M/S

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ WW 160 RU1A M/S
From: rv1aw@office.Peterstar.com (Andrey Karpov)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:26:18 +0300
             CQ 160 METER CONTEST -- 2000

      Call: RU1A                     Country:  European Russia
      Mode: CW                       Category: Multi Single

               QSO   QSO PTS  STATES COUNTRIES

     Totals    743    3982      12      63    =   298,650

Operator List: RA1ARZ, RN1AM, RX1AA, RV1AW, RW1AC, Alex

Equipment Description: 3 x FT-1000MP
RX antennas: Beverages
               330 m - JA
               200 m - USA
               180 m - EU
               180 m - KL7/ZS
TX antennas: 45 meters vertical with 24 radials, INV.L, INV.V

Club Affiliation: Russian Contest Club

                We are always trying to get something new in our hardware
for each contest. It allows us to be on the competative level and also
allows to keep it too. Several previous years we had been participated in CQ
WW 160 just for fun and keeping shapes with clear understanding that
achievement of good result is not for us yet, due to using only INV.L and
absence any additional RX possibilities.
        This time we decided to change it. Four beverages were putting up
during the summer and seems working good. Getting rest after CQ WW CW, we
spent several weekends in December and January for preparations and erecting
new 45 meters vertical which was made from the pipes. It was erected by
using 30 meters supported tower with special blocks and 6 levels of
guywires. Unfortunately we hadn't enough time and materials to connect as
much radials as we want and used only 24 - 1/4 wavelength each ones. Sure,
it's not enough for good performance, due to ground here is very poor - it's
pure sand. We are planning to add as much radials as possible in future.
Nevertheless, this year our setup was much better compares the several
previous years and we had been planning to be more close to the best EU M/S.
But you know, sometimes your expectations, even despite a lot of
preparations, isn't what you really got. I suggest you've read numerous
OH-guys comments about propagation in ours (60 N and higher) latitudes
during the contest. Actually, it was the worst propagation during CQ WW 160
we ever had.
        Amazing feeling than you have 45m vertical and good PA, you know
that all it was tested earlier and playing well and expecting to be enough
loud, but even low power stations on the southern/western Europe with low
INV.V 's/dipoles came through pile-ups most of times ahead us. Nothing to
add how we were frustrated. Only propagation to south and pacific area was
not too bad.
        Anyway, the only the way for us is improvement radials system and RX
capabilities. Will keep fingers by cross next year with hope for good condx.
Game isn't over.

73 !    Arno / RV1AW on behalf of RU1A