[3830] Sprint SSB K6LA HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Sprint SSB K6LA HP
From: kwidelitz@gtemail.net (kwidelitz@gtemail.net)
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 14:00:02 -0500 (EST)
                     NA Sprint - SSB

Call: K6LA
Operator: K6LA
Station: K6LA

Power: HP
QTH: CA

   80:     46
   40:    108
   20:    163
----------------------
Total:    317 Qs   53 Mults =  16801

Comments:

Personal best, but also probably the first time out of the Top Ten in the last
four years. Tuning around before the start I heard YS1EJ in QSO and then heard
V44NK calling on the same frequency. Got V44NK to go up 5 for my 1st QSO and
got V44NK for #4, so I thought I would be doing great on mults. Chasing mults
cost me Qs as I couldn't get into the rhythm and had 9 fewer than last year in
the first hour. Also couldn't get V31JP in the log, heard VY1JA but he was
moving, heard an XE but he was moving, never heard KY, RI, UT or MT, usually
easy from here.

I actually had a good last hour for the first time at 84, only 3 less than the
first hour, and had to deal with Murphy that hour also. In the middle of a QSO
on 80, which was great from here (finally!!!,) the station I was working
stopped hearing me. I looked over at the amp, and didn't see a red light. After
no QSOs for a few minutes, I realized the radio wasn't putting out any power.
Switched radio B to 80 and got on with it. After the contest playing around
showed the 950 was dead on transmit on 80 only. This morning, it is again
working!

See ya next weekend (might have to stop early as I have tickets to Crosby
Stills Nash & Young at Staples Center - gotta find out if they have a warm-up
act so I can finish the sprint before heading downtown.)

73, Ken, K6LA