[3830] RSGB 1.8Mhz contest

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] RSGB 1.8Mhz contest
From: phutter@sarnoff.com (PETER HUTTER)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 09:38:07 -0500
 Got on 160 before sunset hoping  to work a fair number of Gs to warm up
for the NA
sprint. Well, only a couple of stations went into the log! At 2240z, I
began to hear
someone calling cq test on 1827.5, but too weak to piece the call and
exchange info
together. Finally at 2245z, the station became loud enough. It was G0IVZ
so
I dumped in my call and he sent a qrz.  I sent my call again, then he
realized the signal
was coming from the west. I struggled to get his qso number due to very
high qrn level
on the east coast along with high ionospheric absorption from a major
solar flare
the night before. After that qso I began to think the band is finally
open  so I
could call CQ to run.  Called CQ a few times, nothing! I tuned across
the band a few times and heard a couple stations calling cq test and
again they were not loud enough
to work. At 2315 or so, I hear G3KLH  on 1834 and took a chance in
working
him. Again it was a struggle, but took only a couple tries to get the
exchange.
The band went dead in matter of minutes with only two qsos. Oh well.
    Peter WW2Y