[3830] CQ/RJ RTTY WPX K7ZO Low Power Single Op

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ/RJ RTTY WPX K7ZO Low Power Single Op
From: k7zo@micron.net (K7ZO (Scott Tuthill))
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 22:02:29 -0700
       2000 World-Wide RTTY WPX Contest

CALL: K7ZO                            LOCATION: Idaho
CLASS: Single Operator
       Low Power (100W or less)

 Band  QSOs  QSO points Prefixes
160m:
80m:    16 38    5
40m:   67 152   34
20m:    9 18    3
15m:   61 110   41
10m:   55 137   35
Totals: 208 455 118 53,690 Total:

Not much excitement to report from here. The poor band conditions certainly
kept me away from the radio doing other more enjoyable things. I am
surprised by some reports that they felt the bands were good. The comments
about ?wall-to-wall Europeans? on 10M Sunday was amazing the band was almost
flat line out west. My score was well down from last year. Could probably
have broken it, but I did not feel like spending 10 hours in front of the
radio squeezing out 10-15 QSO?s/hour.  I will remember this contest as
follows:

* Having a great run going on 10M into JA right at the start until 00:50
when someone flipped the switch and it stopped dead. Signals were 599 one
minute and then gone the next.
* Only one European on Saturday on 15M, 9A7R at the relatively late time of
21:30. Then only a few weak watery ones on Sunday.
* One lone European on 10M Sunday, OG9MM at 21:20 during the mid-late
afternoon opening we sometimes get into the Nordics.
* Once again working KH7R on all 5 bands as I did last year. I missed P40K
only on 80M and got HC8N on 10, 15, and 20M.
* KE6YTT sure seemed to have a rough signal. Wonder if he was overdriving
the amp or had his audio levels set wrong. I could detect splatter from his
signal quite some ways away from him.

 Rig: FT-1000MP barefoot
WriteLog
Antennas:
10M -- Ten-3 @ 15?
10-20M -- Wire Log periodic fixed NE at 20?
40M -- Dipole @20?
80M -- HF2V