[3830] ARRLDX CW K4MA SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K4MA SOAB HP
From: w2cs@ipass.net (w2cs@ipass.net)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:18:12 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL DX Contest - CW

Call: K4MA
Operator(s): W2CS
Station: K4MA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:      5      4
   80:     62     28
   40:    532     67
   20:    755     73
   15:    707     76
   10:   1009     90
----------------------
Total:   3070    338  =  3,105,882

Comments:

My very warmest thanks to Jim K4MA and his family for inviting me to use his
outstanding station at K4MA while Jim was keeping warm at 8P9JA.  It took a
while for me to convert from being a domestic QRP contest operator with dipoles
to having a full-bore SOABHP station.  The conditions were outstanding.  10
meters was the best I've seen in my 40 years of operating.

I was most impressed with the quality of the operating, world-wide, and
particularly with the patience of the Europe ops on 40 meters. It took me quite
a while to (re)learn the skill of listening through the huge pileups on me on
40!  Layers of callers, patiently trying to work me as my very tired brain
tried to sort out the signal overload.  It gave me a new appreciation of what a
DX pileup must sound like on the DX end.  There were times when my mind blanked
out and it all was noise, and other times the right hand simply insisted on
sending what must have sounded like encrypted CW.  Thanks to all and 73,

Gary W2CS
Apex, NC, USA

K4MA        3070  338 3,105,882SOAB HP