[3830] CQ160 CW ZL6QH Multi-op

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW ZL6QH Multi-op
From: brianmiller@xtra.co.nz (Brian Miller)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 00:13:35 +1300
          CQ 160 METER CONTEST -- 2000

      Call: ZL6QH                    Country:  New Zealand
      Mode: CW                       Category: Multi Operator

               QSO   QSO PTS  STATES COUNTRIES

     Totals    207    1950      39      12    =   99,450

Operator List: Wilbert Knol ZL2BSJ, Brian Miller ZL1AZE

Equipment Description:

Yaesu FT1000MP + Ameritron AL-811, Endfed longwire antenna

Comment: Our previous best score was 13,851 in 1998 so this
year's result is a major improvement. The reason appears to be our
new antenna - a 200m longwire with the highest point elevated at 40m.

Conditions were great into North America but difficult to JA
and Europe - only managed a single European QSO with SP2FAX.

A mains power failure at 1400z on Sunday meant that we
had to start up the petrol generator to finish the contest.

We also had trouble with static build up from a local storm
causing flashover in the ATU - will need to include some sort of
bleeder device next time.

HOW ABOUT exending the contest to a full 48 hours so that
ZL (and other non-American countries) get two sets of sunrise
and sunset operating periods?

Thanks to CQ Magazine for another fun contest - see you again in
2001.

Club Affiliation: WELLINGTON AMATEUR RADIO CLUB

Brian Miller
ZL1AZE
brianmiller@xtra.co.nz