[3830] WRTC Rules

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WRTC Rules
From: kq2m@mags.net (Robert Shohet)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 12:58:35 -0500
Scott,

I DID understand your post - quite well in fact as well several =
switch?  About $50.  EVERY contest station I have seen in the US or =
abroad has had at least a two or three position switch.  This is not a =
hardship or else they would not be at the station.  On the other hand we =
are allowed to bring our radio and accessories to Slovenia.  Let's =
compare cost again - Icom 781 $4,000?  Ft1000MP $2,300, TS830 $700 =
(including VFO).
Here economics IS a factor as well as performance.  Not everyone can =
afford a '781 nor would choose to buy one.  So in the interests of =
"fairness" and testing operator performance it would seem to be FAR MORE =
equitable to disallow "high-tech" radio in favor of TS830's.  Wouldn't =
that be a BETTER test of skill?  Certainly one six-position antenna =
switch has FAR LESS impact on score than a better quality radio, costs a =
LOT less  and is readily available.  I am NOT suggesting that we =
disallow radio disparities, I AM suggesting the use of an simple antenna =
switch for ALL.  I don' t understand either why this should be such a =
big deal.  How is using a simple antenna switch taking away from "the =
operator" when using a complicated high-tech radio is not?

Perhaps you and 'OJ thought I was talking about complicated electornic =
multi-radio band switching that is prevalent at so many "top-ten" =
stations?  I was NOT.  I personally switch ALL my antennas, radios, =
amps, etc. MANUALLY with 2 and 6-position swtiches.   It adds a LOT of =
fatigue and operator error, especially when I am tired, but still serves =
me well.  I did NOT and do not advocate this type of antenna switching =
for WRTC as it would not be possible to duplicate and clearly =
duplication of operating conditions is very important as the WRTC =
committee recognizes.

I disagree though with some people's thinking on gadgetry.  The more =
"gadgets" you have, then the more "aids" that you have, HOWEVER, the =
more potential for operator error, equipment malfunctions and the like, =
as well as the increased cost. =20

My point was that if using an antenna switch is such a big deal and is =
seen as taking away from the "operator" function, then we ought to be =
consistent and use a "basic" radio without filters to further test the =
"operator" function. =20

Do I advocate this extreme?  NO!  I want to use whatever we are allowed =
to use.  I just like "consistency" and convenience, and there is NOTHING =
wrong with that.

73

Bob KQ2M