[3830] CQ WPX SSB N0KE SOAB QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ WPX SSB N0KE SOAB QRP
From: pfkski@vail.net (pfkski@vail.net)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 21:45:23 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ WW WPX - SSB

Call: N0KE
Operator(s): N0KE
Station: W0TM

Class: SOAB  Power: QRP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 32

  160:     15
   80:     32
   40:     26
   20:    204
   15:    145
   10:    346
-------------------------------
Total:    768 x    452  =  897,672

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters

Comments:

      Congradulations to Doug, KR2Q, for what is surely a record setting QRP
performance. I heard him running Europeans (from his NJ hilltop) up high on 10m
 on Sunday and I could not hear most of the stations that he was working from
out here in western Colorado.            I lost about 4-5 hours of operating at
prime time on Saturday to loss of the ability to rotate the KT34XA. I finally
figured that power is on to the xfmr in the control box when ever it is plugged
in as there is no on/off switch and it looks like there is no signifigant load
on the PS. As I remember from a previous experience, xfmrs arn't happy in this
condition. The thermal cutoff in the xfmr put me out of business until I put
the control box out in the snow to cool off. The xfmr was getting quite warm! I
then used the switch on a power strip to turn on the power only when I wanted
to rotate. As I was operating QRP, I was giving the rotor much more of a work
out than the station owner Gary, W0TM, would do when he is QRO contesting and
running. I was about 99% S&P. Condx absolutely amazing! JA and EU in all night
on 20m. Hardly anyone on 40, 80 or 160. Low bands were quite noisey the 2nd
night. It was difficult to pick the 12 hrs of off time. At the bottom of the
cycle this is not a problem!  All time new QRP DXCC worked were XW2A 20m, A41LZ
10m, and E41/OK1DTP. New on SSB were XX9TRR and 3V8BB. TX0DX was worked for a
new SSB country about 2 hrs afterwards on 15m.      Rig: FT1000MP @ 5 Watts,
KT34XA, 2 el KLM 40m. Located at the W0TM mountain top station west of Vail
Colorado. Thanks to W0TM for letting me use his fine station while he was
otherwise obligated on a contest weekend. Thanks to my boss for letting me have
the weekend off from ski school at a very busy time. See you from TI5N in the
CW weekend. 73 Phil N0KE