[3830] VO1MP WPX CW HP-20 MONO

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] VO1MP WPX CW HP-20 MONO
From: gussam@newcomm.net (Gus Samuelson)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 12:54:31 -0230

                  CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 2000

      Call:      VO1MP
      Category:  Single Operator
      Power:     High Power
      Band:      Mono 20
      Mode:      CW
      Country:   Canada

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES

      160        0        0   0.0        0
       80        0        0   0.0        0
       40        0        0   0.0        0
       20      816     2132   2.6      395
       15        0        0   0.0        0
       10        0        0   0.0        0
     --------------------------------------

     Totals    816     2132   2.6      395  =   842,140

     Operating Time 10 Hours

  Soap Box:

  Tiring week at the salt mines , only 2 reasonably functioning
  antennas 10 & 20,   XYL  on  Vacation in Florida , so batching it
  all week...etc etc ...  excuses excuses excuses !!!  was finding it very
  difficult to get motivated , Took short nap  before test so missed
  the first hour on 20 , where I had decided to do a monoband single
  Tried squeezing in with my filters narrowed next to one of 2 land's
  finest , he thought I was a lid and told me so, funny when he does
  it to me  he's just another good op with  keen ears  hi ! If he never
  worked another VO1 for the contest, neither did  I  Hi ! And he is only
  one of 26 others with HIS PX ,  aw shucks mebbe I can get him next time
  when he ops from S5.
  Settled in to work about 340 in first three hours , not phenomenal and
many signals
  were weak  here I reallynever quite knew where to point beam for rate. Not
  enough to maintain a high level of  interest for me
 Found conditions were not as good as last year
  when I did Mono 15 without a rotor and beam pointed north .
  When resumed activity saturday 20 was very poor from here with only
  a few Russians and bigger European stns coming through, vacillated back
  and forth between TV Golf channel and rig , checked WX forecast and
decided that
  Sunday would be better spent on the  Golf course.
should have stayed at  the keyboard .... my golf score was almost as high as
my contest score.

  Got back on for another hour and 1/2 or so near the end  but it was still
  too much F1 over and over. In retrospect I should have gone 10 meter
monoband
  the old Canadian WPX record had only abt 300 qsos and has been there since
  81 or 82  oh well  as the old Dodgers used to say wait till next year and
we' ll
  moider da bums.
  c'Y'ALL   Iaru ... GLWCDR.
  73  Gus VO1MP