[3830] KQ2M 2000 WPXCW SOABHP Unassisted

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KQ2M 2000 WPXCW SOABHP Unassisted
From: kq2m@mags.net (Robert Shohet)
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 12:19:54 -0700
}ULASER
}
                  CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 19100  (2000)
      Call: KQ2M                     Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: SOABHP Unassisted
                                               36 Hours
      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES
      160        0        0   0.0        0
       80        5       11   2.2        3
       40      379     1514   4.0       86
       20      775     2046   2.6      300
       15     1228     3256   2.7      335
       10      480     1354   2.8       88
     --------------------------------------
     Totals   2867     8181   2.9      812  =   6,642,972

Equipment Description:
FT1000MP and Titan (2)

Antennas:
10 5/5/5/5 Hygain 105CA's @ 22/45/70 (Fixed NE) & 100' rotatable
15 5/5/5/5 Hygain 155CA's @ 30/60/90 (Fixed NE) & 109' rotatable
20 20-4CD Fixed NE @ 40' & 20-4CD @ 130' rotatable
40 40-2CD Fixed NE @ 120' & 3L Wire Beam NE @ 50', Wire 4sq. KQ2M design
80 Inv L 4 square KQ2M design
160 Phased Inv L's KQ2M design

Beverages:
260' NE, S & West

Comments:

I had a very hard time concentrating due to my daughters 104+ fever and
multiple amp, radio and antenna switching box failures.  Decided not to quit
but bagged the second radio and avoided the usual helpful 2nd radio S & P ?
operation after I lost enthusiasm.

Spent off time the first night (and only chance for sleep) giving medicine ?
to my 10 month old daughter and speaking with doctors.   Kind of puts things ?
in perspective as when she is crying and in pain, even a "favorite" contest ?
doesn't seem important anymore!

Conditions were VERY ODD as 80 and 40 were almost totally useless the first ?
night (due to the high MUF?) as everyone seemed to be on 15 and 20 at EU ?
sunrise despite the realtively low solar flux.  What was really strange was ?
that even though the JA path was almost non-existent due to strong ?
absorption on the polar path, I heard the BEST ever EU opening on 10 on ?
Saturday in 20 years of operating this contest!  Go figure?!

The one point US qso's really saved this contest and the EU activity was ?
great as always.  If we have good 10 meter EU with poor conditions, why do ?
we have poor 10 meter EU with great conditions with the same solar flux as ?
last year?

Special thanks to my wonderful XYL Barbara who encouraged me to continue to ?
operate and to Jeff, K1ZM who stopped by on his way to Cape Cod on Thursday ?
and climbed my tower in the wind and near dark to reset the rotator which ?
had spun around twice in the thunderstorms.

Club Affiliation: FRANKFORD RADIO CLUB 8<?8
?

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               ROBERT L. SHOHET  KQ2M
               51 SCUDDER ROAD