[3830] DX in the ARRL VHF June Contest

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] DX in the ARRL VHF June Contest
From: dhenderson@arrl.org (Henderson, Dan N1ND)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 09:43:15 -0400
I have done some research on this issue and spoken with many of the people
who have been involved with developing this contest over the years.

The ARRL VHF / UHF contests are domestic in nature and designed to promote
VHF / UHF / Microwave activity within the US and Canada.  I have been told
that DX to DX contacts for contest point credit have never been permissible,
but perhaps in the past may not have been closely monitored. If a great band
opening occurred, certainly stations should work as many stations as
possible, even if they do not count for contest score credit.

I have reviewed the rules for this event back to 1988. This point was not
specifically included in the rules until the re-write in 1997-98.  I do not
know why it was specifically included in that year's rules, as it happened
before my taking over the Contest Branch and discussions with parties
involved at that time haven't given me an indication as to why it was
finally formally included in the rules announcement.

As has been pointed out, there are VHF / UHF contest in Europe and other
regions.  We encourage stations to participate, but as in the other ARRL
contest that is primarily domestic in nature, the November Sweepstakes, the
contest goal is to work as many US and Canadian amateurs as possible.

The plaque program for the June VHF QSO Party was started in 1988.  The only
time that plaques for the DX Single and Multi-Op winner are cited was in
1997.  They do not appear either before that year or after in the published
rules in QST.  However, if there is significant participation, and if the
plaque is purchased either by a sponsor or the winner, we will certainly be
happy to award a First Place DX plaque to the appropriate station.

Good luck in this year's event.

73

Dan Henderson, N1ND
ARRL Contest Branch Manager