[3830] RAC Contest - VE5RI - M/M

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] RAC Contest - VE5RI - M/M
From: wtill@bordercity.com (Bill Till)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 23:40:26 -0600

Contest Dates : 01-Jul-00,  1-Jul-00

    Callsign Used : VE5RI

       Operators :VE5CJR VE5FD  VE5FF VE5FN VE5WI VE6EZ VE6FN VE6HMG VE6REE
VE6SJA

       Category : Multi Op

       Team/Club : Sask Alta Radio Club

  160CW       11          10        112       6
  160SSB       8           8         64       4
   80CW       11          11        114       5
   80SSB      31          31        332       7
   40CW      113         110        648       9
   40SSB     114         112       1162      10
   20CW      209         204       1008      10
   20SSB     655         638       3872      12
   15CW      156         154        476       9
   15SSB     256         250        700       8
   10CW        4           4         32       2
   10SSB      22          22         84       2
    6CW        5           5         18       1
    6SSB      61          60        162       1
    2CW        2           2         20       2
    2SSB       4           4         40       2

 Totals     1662        1625       8844      90

    Final Score = 795,960 points.

Our best score in Canada Day so far, but it pales alongside of VE5MX's
fantastic single op effort at the VE6JY station. Weird condx - we worked
several dozen 15 meter QSOs before there was a single VE in the 15 meter
log. Lots of DX on 20 also. An operating highlight was a wild 6 meter
opening shortly after start time. General condx were not that good and many
VEs must have been away from their rigs, but as usual, an enjoyable
contest. As this contest matures, we notice more and more DX stations
enthusiastically participating.

Much excitement about 2 hours into the contest. A nasty looking cloud
appeared to the west with a funnel cloud hanging beneath it. After a few
minutes observation and comments via 2 meters, it was decided that one of o
ur ops should call the Severe Weather Watch hotline. This resulted in
activation of the storm warning system for Lloydminster and area through
Environment Canada. Luckily, the funnel cloud missed us, but one enormous
stroke of lightning gave us a power bump that caused all the computers and
amps to reset. Our panic receded when everything came back up OK, but the
panic was not limited to the humans on site. VE5WI's dog, who  is about the
size of a small pony, decided that he was terrified of thunder and attacked
the door of the house, trying to get in. The screen in the outer door was
destroyed and the dog roundly cursed. The rest of the contest seemed
uneventful by comparison.

73 and tnx to all fellow Canada Day contestants.

Bill/VE5FN