[3830] CQP Cnty Exped W6ML HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQP Cnty Exped W6ML HP
From: W6KC@arrl.net (W6KC@arrl.net)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 02:13:35 -0400 (EDT)
                     California QSO Party

Call: W6ML
Operator(s): W6KC, W6SW, KX6H, N6PY, W6JTB
Station:

Class: Cnty Exped  Power: HP
QTH: Mono County
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:                1
   80:      77      118
   40:      95      176
   20:     283      536
   15:     379      465
   10:     123      911
    6:
    2:
-----------------------------------
Total:     957     2207       58  =  422,530

Club:

Comments:

Since 1992, W6KC & W6SW have enjoyed the annual expedition to Mammoth Lakes in
Mono County for the California QSO Party.  This year we recruited three more
hams (W6JTB, N6PY & KX6H) to join the team.  Since we doubled last year's score
it certainly was the more the merrier.  We also enjoyed breaking in our new
special club call for Mammoth Lakes (W6ML).

The weather was beautiful on Friday as the pocket rocket launched the fishing
line over the pine trees to pull the 10 guy lines needed for our dipoles and
wire beams.  All was set and ready to go in time for a pre-CQP warm-up at the
local Chart House Restaurant where we linked up for dinner with another Mono
County portable group, W6JA (W7AB & W7FD).  We had a great meal and fun get
together and we were all certainly primed up for CQP Saturday.

Ten minutes into the contest one of the computers locked up and it later
responded only with the buzz of a CW signal coming from the 20M station.
Fortunately a backup laptop PC was available and placed into service.  All of
the hand logging of the past hour was keyed in while we were in a catch up
mode.  The rest of the weekend went well and 10m sure was hot, hot, hot!  It's
amazing what you can do with some wire and a few scraps of metal at 8,000 feet
elevation.   The only cooling off came when we packed up Monday for the
300-mile commute back to Santa Monica.  A big Sierra storm front arrived with
blowing winds and the start of rain showers just as we were heading south.

73 and thanks for all the QSO's,

W6ML - CQP in Mammoth Lakes, Mono County