[3830] CQWW SSB W6XR M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W6XR M/S HP
From: W6XR@QTH.COM (W6XR@QTH.COM)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:05:58 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - SSB

Call: W6XR
Operator(s): W6XR, N2AU, N2VR, W2AD
Station: W6XR

Class: M/S HP
QTH: New York
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:     27      6      9
   80:     86     15     50
   40:    163     27     83
   20:    668     38    140
   15:    887     40    139
   10:    713     36    142
-------------------------------
Total:   2544    162    563  =  5,164,900

Club/Team: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Our weekend started with a late season thunder storm moving through the area.
One of the ops noted that perhaps it would plague YCCC stations to the East
later that night!  We were moving along well ahead of last years pace but on
Sat., late afternoon, the C.M.E. made its presence known.  The noise floor came
up and according to the locals, there was a spectacular auroral display to be
seen with green and red lights to the north.  We heard the signals start to
sound raspy and 160/80 became impossible with few Europeans making it through.
40 was fair but for us Sunday morning was a loss and rates dropped dramatically
into the low 20s on 10/15/20.  Only the loudest stations were making it through
on 10 and 15 was poor also.

This year I heard the "normal" number of stations who did not remember to push
the split button while on 40 but a new twist was observed.  A station operating
below 7150 was told he was out of the band by one of the band police and the
station running on 7056 said he would go back up the band as soon as he worked
out the pile up!  Go figure!

Pile up management was good except for a few free for alls on the high bands.
Just how obnoxious can one be?   The Jerry Springer show of contesting was the
North Cook Island pile on 10 meters!

We had about as much fun as possible for a phone contest and hopefully it was a
learning experience for all of us.  No problems and I must say the new FT1000
MP Mark V was worth every penny.  The reciever is just fantastic AND, you can
keep a sandwich warm by placing your corned beef on rye directly on the massive
heat sink.  In general, I don't think overall propogation was nearly as good as
last year as the "beacon" station CN8WW was not as loud on 160/80 or 40.

We had fun............I think!  Many thanks to all the stations who worked us.

Proudly submitted on behalf of the Frankford Radio Club

73

Natan W6XR

W6XR is:

Yaesu FT1000MP Mark V
Icom 746

Alpha 86 and 374

Writelog on an Ether Net with three confusers.

Antennas Are:

Rotating pole --- Force 12 C3Es at 80 and 45 feet

Rohn Stick, Force 12 2 el on 24' boom on 40 at 80', Force 12 rotatable dipole
EF180B at 85' for 80 and a C19XR tribander at 75' for the multiplier station.

160 is a Force 12 EF160VX with two tuned elevated radials and 135 1/8 wave and
32 1/4 wave radials as a ground screen.

Receiving on the low bands is done with a Ewe named Sarah.

Antenna switching by Array Solutions.