[3830] CQWW SSB M6T M/M HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB M6T M/M HP
From: g4piq@btinternet.com (g4piq@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 07:37:30 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - SSB

Call: M6T
Operator(s): G4IFB, G4VXE, WW2R, OH6YF, G0IVZ, G0MTN, G4PIQ, G4VMM, G0CYB,
G4BUO, G4TSH, G4BWP, G0KRL, G0AEV, G4BAH, G0AFH, G0WCW, G7OCD, G0OZS
Station:

Class: M/M HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    864     12     62
   80:   1722     23     95
   40:   1922     31    114
   20:   3383     39    163
   15:   2727     40    162
   10:   3318     40    173
-------------------------------
Total:  13936    185    769  =  26,145,324

Club/Team: Martlesham DX & CG

Comments:

Raw score as usual. Have some trouble with some of the .BIN files right now, so
this may change a little.

Equipment :

160m (G4IFB + G4VXE + WW2R)
FT1000D + PA. 40m vertical + Dipoles @ 25m. 3 Beverages.

80m (OH6YF + G0IVZ + G0MTN + G4IFB + G4PIQ)
FT1000MP + PA. 4 square + 2 el wire yagi @ 20m. Beverage.

40m (G4VMM + G0CYB + G0IVZ)
FT1000MP + PA. 3 el yagi @ 30m + 402CD @ 25m. Beverage.

20m (G4BUO + G4TSH)
FT1000D + PA. Stacked 204CDs @ 18/30m + 204CD @ 24m.

15m (G4PIQ + G0MTN + WW2R + G0IVZ + G4BUO)
FT1000MP + PA. Stacked extended 155BAs @ 18/30m + extended 155BA @ 24m

10m (G4BWP + G0KRL + G0AEV)
FT1000D + PA. Stacked 105BAs @ 25/33m + 105BA @ 25m

Spotting : G4BAH, G0AFH, G0WCW, G0MTN, G4IFB, G7OCD, WW2R, G4VXE, G0AEV, G0OZS.

We had big targets in mind for this year, and looked to be heading in the
right direction until the end of the first day when the aurora hit! This opened
the high bands late and closed them early and took away the volume which we
needed.

This is also our worst year for multipliers almost since we started doing
multi-multi. There were some obvious candidates missing from the bands this
time, but we sorely missed having King Spotter, Bob - G4BAH available for most
of the contest since he seems to be able to smell a new multiplier under the
noise at 50 paces.

On the up side, on the first night top band seemed in much better shape than
last year and we were able to work a useful number of Ws, and nothing blew
up..... amazing! The 10m team once again put in what looks like an outstanding
score.

Yet again we were hit with dreadful weather. The station is all field-day style
with temporary guys on telescopic towers. We believe that we had gusts to 55
mph
during the contest on both the Saturday and the Sunday. Luckily we were able to
drop the towers at the end of the contest so that the antennas only had to
weather the 70mph gusts which arrived on the Monday morning at the 30ft level.
During the contest we lost the 160m vertical after the first night, but that
was the only damage which we sustained. We were very lucky, but had taken a lot
of care with the guying! Every time that a gust came and the operating trailer
shook, you could see a lot of worried people!

There was also torrential rain with the wind, and this is certainly the first
contest where I have had to try three different routes away from the site
before finding a road which had little enough flooding to be passable!

I make my usual request of any relative signal reports to our competition here
in Europe. It all helps us to figure out what works and what doesn't. Thanks to
everyone for working us and especially to those of you who moved for us.

No pictures yet for this year, but you can see what it's like at
http://www.mrs.bt.co.uk/

73,

Andy Cook, G4PIQ
g4piq@btinternet.com