[3830] CQWW SSB P40A SOSB/20 HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB P40A SOSB/20 HP
From: kk9a@arrl.net (kk9a@arrl.net)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 20:39:42 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - SSB

Call: P40A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station:

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   4200     38    140
   15:
   10:
-------------------------------
Total:   4200     38    140  =  2,200,000

Club/Team:

Comments:

I like to operate at least one DX contest a year as DX.  In March I operated
the ARRL DX Phone contest as ZF2JB and I decided to try the CQ WW DX Phone
contest from Aruba.  This was my first trip to this country.  I rented a house
and brought  350 lbs of equipment with me.  I arrived on the island on Saturday
October 21, 2000 and so did some of my luggage. The suitcase with all of my
tools, coax and antenna hardware went to St. Maartin instead.  My fiancee
accompanied me on this trip and we spent our time enjoying the beaches until
the next afternoon when the important luggage arrived.  On Monday I set up the
station and worked on getting my reciprocal license.  By Wednesday I was
officially licensed as P40A. My precontest  time was spent shopping, dining out
and exploring the country.  I even tried windsurfing for the first time. The
weather was great, mostly sunny and 90+  humid degrees everyday.  This is a
very popular sport here and I rented a board several times, improving each
time.  We  also had the pleasure of having dinner with W2GD/P40W, who was also
there for the contest.  Due to the lack of antenna space, both in the luggage
and at the house I decided to operate only 20 meters during the contest.  I put
the emphasis on making as many QSO's as possible and hoped the multipliers
would come to me.  I didn't have a very strong station so I wasn't able to
break pileups easily.  The contest went well for me except I didn't realize
that the air conditioning wasn't working properly in the makeshift radio room.
The room quickly heated up to 92 degrees (33 c) and remained that hot for the
entire contest.  On Monday morning I quickly took the station apart and packed
it back up.  On Tuesday afternoon it was time to head home.  This was my first
CQ contest as DX and it was a lot of fun.  I'll be back for the WPX in March.
Thanks to all who worked me and QSL via WD9DZV.