[3830] ARRL SS SSB K8ND SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS SSB K8ND SO HP
From: jmaass@columbus.rr.com (jmaass@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:41:56 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes - SSB

Call: K8ND
Operator(s): K8ND
Station: K8ND

Class: SO HP
Section: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:
   80:    588
   40:    430
   20:    201
   15:    190
   10:    108
-------------------------------
Total:   1517 x     80  =  242,720

Club: MRRC

Comments:

      EQUIPMENT:
        Radio:   FT1000MP, Alpha 91b (Single Radio)
        Antennas:
           80m:  Inv-V @ 65'
                 Three 300' 2-wire Beverages (6 directions)
           40m:  XM240 @ 79'
                 Inv-V @ 40'
                 Inv-V @ 20'
           20/15/10:  KT34XA @ 69'

My goals going in were 1400 QSOs, a Sweep, and 224,000 points. I thought that
this was pretty aggressive, since this is only the second single-op SS SSB
full-time effort I've done (the first was in 1982, with 1328 QSOs and a Sweep,
and that with the old AD8I/K8ND station in Circleville!)

Best Rate: 140 (Full hour, 0400Z - 0459Z, 80 meters).

Best time this weekend was the 80 meter run from 0400Z - 0700Z. I sat on 3847
and had rates of 140, 97, and 86 in those three contiguous hours. The short
Beverages (six directions) work great on 80 meters, and really made the band
work for me this contest! I returned to this safe place for the last four hours
of the contest, and my last two hours were 54 and 50. Happy happy joy joy!

Worst time was trying to find a run frequency on 40. I seem to have lost this
vital skill somewhere in the past two decades. I only once had a run frequency
on 40 during the first night, and then only because W7VJ offered me his
frequency (7204) after I worked him: nice guy!). I pounced, I had short runs on
top of broadcast carriers, but in general I just had headaches whenever I was
on 40 meters. I guess I've lost the agressive rudeness trait required to
shoehorn a frequency.

I had my Sweep at 0548Z. Last three sections were SD, SNJ,and NL. Scarce
Sections were: NL, VI, AK, PAC (2 QSOs each), and PR, NWT (1 QSO each). Most
represented Sections were: IL (104 QSOs), MI (77), OH (72).