[3830] SS Phone - K7BV SO-Unlimited HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] SS Phone - K7BV SO-Unlimited HP
From: K7bv@aol.com (K7bv@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:13:15 EST
2000 ARRL NOVEMBER SWEEPSTAKES

Call used: K7BV  Location: NV
Category: Single Op Assisted   SO2R   Power: HP

Hours of Operation: 23:43

Band      QSOs     Points
160          0          0
  80         79        158
  40        180        360
  20        643       1286
  15        122        244
  10       1012       2024
---------------------------------
Total     2036       4072   X   80 multipliers  =  325,760

Club or Team Name: Northern California CC

Comments: Highlight - 1012 QSOs on 10 - unreal !  All licensed and active
KG4xxx stations are in the log.

First SS Phone 2K-Q effort and loved every second of it...or at least as much
as a CW op can enjoy doing it with his lips. Played the game a little
different from my usual M/O increasing the Q count by over 10% compared to
lat year.

Saturday, I pressed the high bands super hard waaaay past the normal times I
drop down to the next lower band. That gamble paid off with a steady flow of
casual ops on the East Coast trying to fill out their sweep without the Big
Gun QRM. 15 just won't play for me so I used it as the rate fill band for the
second radio; only running on that band one hour of the entire contest.

That strategy left the short skip gang thirsty for Nevada - a thirst I would
fill late in the contest Sunday.

75 meters signals sounded down from usual levels a new low 3el 40 didn't do a
thing to increase my evening rates challenges so 0830Z was floor pad snooze
time for me.

I took a gamble taking my full 6 hours of off-time in one lump. That made for
a loooong Sunday but it worked out, thankfully. I was a more pleasant (?) and
alert guy dealing with the QRM and milliwatters.

Sunday late afternoon I shot past 15 (again using it as the second radio
band) finding  20 with little QRM and a steady pace of casual ops within a
400-1,000 mile circle working on their Sweep. As soon as that effort slowed
down, I went down to 40 and did the same thing with the crowd inside a 400
mile short skip circle. Nevada must have been a little tough this year or
maybe the world has found I actually DO answer WAS QSL requests...

73 Dennis the Menace K7BV