[3830] ARRL SS SSB KZ5D SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS SSB KZ5D SO HP
From: KZ5D@aol.com (KZ5D@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 07:09:40 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes - SSB

Call: KZ5D
Operator(s): KZ5D
Station: KZ5D

Class: SO HP
Section: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 23.75

  160:
   80:     50
   40:    100
   20:    617
   15:    610
   10:    211
-------------------------------
Total:   1588 x     80  =  253,920

Club: Cajun Contest Club

Comments:

Wow!  What a fun contest.  This was my first all out effort in a phone SS.
Working with my modest city lot antenna farm(TH-7 and half slopers) I dis well,
but was humbled more than once by the big boys, particularly on 40 & 80 were I
never could get any runs going.

Had to work on Saturday, so got home late...Just 30 minutes before the contest.
 Rushed through last minute preparations.  First hour started off as a
disaster.  I checked WWV about 10 minutes before the contest, switching from
the Top Ten automatic selection to a 40 meter antenna manually.  Forgot to put
switch back to "Auto."  When contest started, I called CQ on 10 for about 4
minutes and got only 1 response.  Called a couple of other stations and nil.
Changed to 15, and had similar results.
then I noticed the switch in wrong position.  Flipped it the "auto" and the
bands came alive and I still managed 113 Qs the first hour.  Imagine what it
could have been...Why does work have to get in the way of contesting?

It was impossible to find a run frequency on 20 Saturday evening.  Too bad, cuz
all the guys who did were having fabulous success.  Stayed on 15 til late,
finally getting something going on 20 at 0300z.  When I moved to 40, rate went
nowhere.  Ditto on 80.

Best rate was 5/minute at 2254Z.  Let's see 3 hours at that rate and .....

Thanks all for the QSOs.  Hope to see you in 10 meter contest.

Happy Thanksgiving.