[3830] CQWW CW K5GO M/M HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K5GO M/M HP
From: K5GO@ALLTEL.NET (K5GO@ALLTEL.NET)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:14:54 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - CW

Call: K5GO
Operator(s):
Station: K5GO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: ARKANSAS
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:     50     12     21
   80:    171     16     55
   40:    868     33    120
   20:   1342     38    141
   15:   1535     39    144
   10:   1370     39    150
-------------------------------
Total:   5336    177    631  =  12,103,840

Club/Team: OZARK CONTEST CLUB

Comments:

All of us worked frantically on weekends to build a house and radio station
where one did not exist in order to get ready to enter the multi-multi
category. We are quite proud of the results from our first effort.

Antennas:

160     90' shunt fed tower with 15M Yagi on top
80      Dipole at 120' and sloping dipole toward JA
40      2 Element Cushcraft at 120'
20      5 Element Yagi on 48' boom at 120'
15      5 Element Yagi on 38' boom at 90'
10      6 Element Yagi on 38' boom at 70'

We gave the rotators a pretty good workout, and definitely need
more than one antenna per band (especially 20M where the signals seem to come
from every direction all the time).

Equipment:

Drake C Lines on 80 and 160 and Icom transceivers on 40-10.

Amplifiers - SB-220's, L-4B's, Kenwood Tl922A's, etc.  Had three
amplifier failures during the contest and one just before.
Coincidentally enough (?) all of the failures occurred while I was
operating!

On 160, 80, and 10 meters we were at 1000W or less and in general using
amplifiers that are not designed for contest reliability.  We'll have to
improve this area.

Hope everyone had as much fun as we did.

Happy Holidays,

Stan, K5GO