[3830] CQWW CW KR2Q SOAB QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW KR2Q SOAB QRP
From: dougkr2q@aol.com (dougkr2q@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:42:41 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - CW

Call: KR2Q
Operator(s): KR2Q
Station: KR2Q

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Northern NJ
Operating Time (hrs): ~42

  160:      8      3      3
   80:     36      9     28
   40:    235     19     74
   20:    211     22     68
   15:    358     28     86
   10:    490     25     95
-------------------------------
Total:   1338    106    354  =  1,751,680

Club/Team:

Comments:

Goal was to beat the old record (1.1meg).  Bands were very strange here.

I never could get anything going on 20m (reason unknown).  I didn't think the
skewed reflector and 2nd director would matter that much (cosine function), but
maybe I was wrong.  I think I only worked 1 or maybe 2 G stations (typical poor
results this year).  I never did work an OZ or any other of a handful of "piece
of cake" EU countries.  :-(

Low bands were the best I've ever heard them.  Making 28 countries on 80m with
qrp and a "dipole" at ~50' in the center and six (6) feet at each end is
unreal.  In the past, I've only worked a couple per weekend 'test.

40m was superb.  My 5 watts felts like a KW.  Nearly everybody in EU was one
call.  I was even working guys "off the back" (remember, this is qrp) when I
was in a rush to try to call them.  I still can't believe that I ended up with
more countries on 40 than 20.  Until the end of the test, I almost had more on
40 than 15 also!

10 meters didn't feel nearly as good as it has been in the past.  QSO's were
well down, as were the zones and countries.  I think this is the first time in
a long time that I didn't make 100 countries on at least one band.  Sure did
miss that borrowed 6 element 10m KLM monobander used in the ARRL and WPX tests.

Overall, I'm "okay" with the score.  As with CQWWSSB, I thought I should have
done around 2M total (or more).  The big (happy) surprise was the 40m score.  I
doubt I'll ever see that again.

160/80: wires at ~50 in center (fed together), all ends at six (6) feet off the
deck.

40m:  2 ele shorty (402cd) @ 72' (tower A)
20m:  204cd (bent up a bit) @ 82' (tower A)
15m:  154cd @ 58' (tower B)