[3830] CQWW CW N4GN SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N4GN SOAB HP
From: n4gn@n4gn.com (n4gn@n4gn.com)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:07:26 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - CW

Call: N4GN
Operator(s): N4GN
Station: N4GN

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Kentucky, Zone 04
Operating Time (hrs): 41
Radios: SO2R

  160:     22      8     14
   80:     50     16     34
   40:    359     26     87
   20:    641     34     91
   15:    792     33     96
   10:    667     32     96
-------------------------------
Total:   2531    149    418  =  4,055,751

Club/Team: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

No question in my mind--the single most impressive Stateside score I've seen so
far is N9RV at W9RE.  I don't want to start any fights, but I'd love to see the
day when one of those 9-million scoring W1 types trade QTHs with Pat.  Then
let's see what the scores are!

If N5TJ and K1TO are the Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa of contesting, N9RV is at
least a starter on the All Star team.  Obviously, W9RE has put together quite
an impressive station, too.  Both are to be congratulated.

N2IC's score is also very impressive from Colorado.  Nice job, Steve!

My ambitious goal going into this contest was to make second place in the Zone
4 box, behind Pat.  Obviously, I was hoping N2IC had some kinda llama
convention to attend this weekend!  Apparently guys like K8GL, K8DX and K5MR
all had their eyes on the same goal, as they each kicked me down the list
another notch.  Looks like I'll be doing well to make the Zone 4 box at all
this year, even after improving my score by 30 percent!

At least I have in mind several things that I can do to improve my results next
year.  For starters, I can do a better job ahead of time with my sleep, and put
in a full 48 hours.  I also need quite a bit of antenna work, especially on
160, where just about anything would be an improvement.  And something more
potent than 500 W and a ground-mounted all-band vertical would make the second
radio more profitable.

Best hourly rate was only 136.  Had a few 10-minute peaks in the 180s, but I
never had a prolonged string of callers.  At most, I'd work 5 or 6 guys, then
have to hit the CQ button several times.  Guess I need to be louder!  Maybe
monoband stacks on 10 and 15 should be a higher priority than a real 160
antenna for next year?

As it was, I still had a GREAT time.  Even with all the changes and negative
stuff people like to whine about, this ham radio thing is still as magical for
me today as it was when I got started as a 9 year-old boy.  CQ WW CW is an
annual reminder of that fact to me.

Here's the current N4GN station (HF stuff, anyway):

Single 90-foot 45G tower

C-4XL at 90 ft, fully rotating
C-3 at 65 ft, fixed at 45 degrees
C-3 at 40 ft, rotating from roughly 240 to 180 degrees (i.e., it covers
everything but SSW)
The two C-3s and the 10/15/20 part of the C-4XL are fed through a WX0B
StackMatch
Inverted V for 80 at 80 ft
Inverted L for 160, too darn close to the tower
HF-6V vertical for the second radio

All antennas are switched through a WX0B Six Pack.

WX0B BPFs are automatically controlled for each radio using DX Solutions Smart
Antenna Switches.

Main radio:  Omni-VI plus
Second radio:  IC-746

Main amp:  Acom 2000A (simply incredible!)
Second amp:  Ten Tec Hercules II (500 W solid state)

The "glue" that makes all this work, somehow:  TR Log 6.55

See y'all next year!

73,

Tim, N4GN
n4gn@n4gn.com