[3830] CQWW CW N9CIQ SOAB QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N9CIQ SOAB QRP
From: jgrokowsky@charter.net (jgrokowsky@charter.net)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:45:20 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - CW

Call: N9CIQ
Operator(s): N9CIQ
Station:

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 13.75

  160:
   80:      3      3      2
   40:     17      9     11
   20:     68     15     45
   15:    196     28     72
   10:    260     27     85
-------------------------------
Total:    544     82    215  =  458,568

Club/Team: MINNESOTA WIRELESS

Comments:

Icom IC 737 / 5 watts
TA 33jr @ 50 feet
40 meter sloper at 48 feet
80 m Inverted Vee @ 48'

Multiplier totals as well as operating time down from last year.  The flares
seemed to mess up my ability to sit and call CQ.  Only tried that two or three
times but it was tough going.  I should have spent more time looking for
multipliers.

I can see by some of the huge QRP scores that if I really want to get serious,
I will need to add a beam on 40 meters and something better than an Inverted V
on 80.  I just don't have enough antenna to run with the 100' tower/stacked
Yagi guys.

If antennas are so important why are the classes based on power levels?  Why
not base the classes on antenna height/size?  QRP with a 3 element tribander at
50 feet doesn't compete well with QRP and a 20 meter monobander at 100 feet.
Of course, it would also be nice to get a 2X multiplier for being in the
Midwest but I don't want to be TOO whiny!