[3830] ARRL160 N9SE SO QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL160 N9SE SO QRP
From: n9se@arrl.net (n9se@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 18:17:04 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N9SE
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SO QRP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:     233     50        1      =  23,919

Club/Team: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

 My first 160 contest. I lengthened my 80m inverted vee with 20ga hookup wire
 at the start of the contest. (Note to self: Don't wait until the start of the
 contest to solder in 15 degree wind chill.)

 I had a lot of fun in this one. I decided to take lots of breaks and I ran a
casual pace...(What other kind of pace is there one 160 meters with QRP and a
questionable antenna?)

 About mid-contest, I discovered that I had mis-adjusted my tuner and I was
 putting out 2.5 watts. After a 3dB adjustment, I found it a little easier
 going! I did have trouble working the weaker stations. The most difficult
being
 SFL, Canada, and the left coast. One benefit on QRP is that I don't see a
reason to put up beverages. It would just allow me to hear more stations I
can't work!  8 )

 The highlights of the contest were working VP5K on the first call and
 breaking a decent sized pileup for WY.

 Equipment:
 Omni VI plus @ 5w
 Ten-Tec tuner