[3830] ARRL10 AA1K M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL10 AA1K M/S HP
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (jon.zaimes@dol.net)
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:18:34 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: AA1K
Operator(s): AA1K, KB3FEE,AB1P
Station: AA1K

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Delaware
Operating Time (hrs): 34

   CW:   1114    141
  SSB:   1240    150
----------------------
Total:   2354    291  =  2,018,376

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

This was a first-time family effort at a multi-single: Dad Jon AA1K,
Mom Jeanie AB1P and Son Adam KB3FEE (who upgraded to General just 3 weeks
ago). The 5 el 10m yagi (a very aged and battered and much modified 105BA)
went up at 55 feet on a sidemount just a few days before the contest.
That's all we had for the first night and morning; Saturday afternoon
we put up a second 5 el. at 25 feet fixed South to cover the "hole"
in the side-mount rotation. Both beams played nicely.

The amp, a 4-1000 in grounded grid, hadn't been used since our move
three years ago; it was wired up in the rack on Friday afternoon; during
a brief test the RFC started sending up smoke signals when the tube went
into oscillation, but after a brief cool-down period and retuning of the
input circuit, it settled down for the duration.

Main radio was an FT1000MP, with a TS940S for spotting. We used the Beverage
antennas for the spotting receiver.

JT1A came back to us in the first few minutes of the contest but we
couldn't pull him through -- and we never heard him again. Plenty of
other nice mults though, such as 4X, 5B, 9K, A4, FR, UA0, UN, JX,
JY, KH0, KH8, OD, SU, TZ, V7, VP8/sh, VU. And lots of JAs.

We had three hours of 100+ the first day and five 100+ hours the second
day. Best CW hour was at 14z on Day Two (138 Qs by AA1K) and best phone hour
was at 16z on Day Two (142 Qs by KB3FEE-- son wins!)