[3830] ARRL10 K1AM SO SSB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL10 K1AM SO SSB HP
From: k1am@home.com (k1am@home.com)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 21:18:24 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K1AM
Operator(s): K1AM
Station: K1AM

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: RI
Operating Time (hrs): 33

   CW:
  SSB:   2741    159
----------------------
Total:   2741    159  =  871,638

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: FT1000-MP, Alpha 87A
Antennas: 4/4 stacked yagis up 10/20m fixed on EU, 7 ele. yagi up 30m

      This is the only contest that I enjoy operating SSB. What a great time
but conditions could have been better. Couldn't sleep the first night so went
to the shack at 0900Z and found many EU signals on the band but most could not
hear me because they were not beaming the USA. I worked 12 stations that hour
and 17 the next. They were very surprised to hear me that early. I had 16 hours
over 100 q's and some of the mults that called in were 4S7, VQ9, SU, 5Z, OY,
TF. I was very surprised when I was beaming west and heard a very weak signal
calling me. I could tell it was not an American so I switched to the stack and
there was JW0HR with a booming signal calling. That was quite a surprise.
      I missed DC, PEI, LAB, NWT, YT, and DE. I worked many W3's and with each
I was hoping to hear DE or DC. No luck. I ran stations most of the weekend but
when I did S&P I was looking for W3PP or AA1K. I heard AA1K call and work a DX
station but never heard Jon ( and family ) again. :(
      I've participated in contests the last 7 weekends. Next contest on the
list for me is the ARRL RTTY Roundup which is like RTTY Sweepstakes. I sure
hope someone is on from Delaware. ;) DE is not well represented in RTTY
contests lately. RTTY contests are a lot of fun even if the pace is slower than
other modes but the activity is increasing with all the sound card software
that is available these days.
      QSL requests with SASE or via the bureau please.
      Happy Holidays to all and thanks for the q's.

      73, Jeff K1AM