[3830] ARRL10 N6DE(@N6IJ) SO Mixed HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL10 N6DE(@N6IJ) SO Mixed HP
From: dwood@cisco.com (dwood@cisco.com)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:04:34 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N6DE
Operator(s): N6DE
Station: N6IJ

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 27

   CW:    761    100
  SSB:   1256    105
----------------------
Total:   2017    205  =  1,138,980

Club: West Valley ARA

Comments:

Equipment:
Kenwood TS850SAT
Alpha 87A
Wilson 3-element tribander at 45 feet

Soapbox:

Thanks to Pat AA6EG for allowing me to use the N6IJ station
(http://www.polkinghorn.org/n6ij).  Also, thanks to Kent K6ENT
for loaning me his laptop computer.

This was my first real S/O contest effort!  I have almost always
participated in multi-ops, but this time I wanted to help the West
Valley ARA in their local club category entry for the 10m contest.
With one radio, one amp, one antenna, and no packet, I think
I did OK for my first serious S/O.  The great location and high power
sure made for a fun time.  The 2,017 QSO mark was more than any
previous contest total that has ever been made at N6IJ, regardless of
contest or entry class.

I started the contest with a 182 QSO hour.  I knew from that point
that this was going to be a fun contest!  However, as everyone else
said, propagation in this year's contest clearly was not as good as last year.
Europe was a real struggle for me.  I only had 70 European QSOs
in total.  Even JA seemed much weaker than I expected, as N6IJ
has a beautiful shot toward the Pacific.  Regardless, JAs and Asia
are always a pleasure to work.  The tremendous stateside and Canadian
activity made up for everything else!

I never heard Wyoming, Labrador, or NWT.  I worked all other
states and Canadian mults on at least one mode.

Well after sunset on Saturday, there seemed to be a pipeline into
two states: Colorado and Arizona!  That was fun to discover.
But, I went to bed on Saturday really worried about my mult total.
Thankfully, propagation to Europe opened on Sunday, and parts
of EU remained open quite late.  I was in disbelief when an SM
called me at 22:30Z!

I enjoyed operating mixed mode in this contest.  The mixed mode
category makes one weigh all kinds of strategical options throughout
the contest.  Should I keep running on SSB, or move to CW where I
know my rate will be lower, but the QSOs are twice as valuable, and
possibly increase the total mults?  I got a kick out of these dilemmas!
And yes, I do need to seek mental help.

The big thrill was having my CQ on SSB answered by 3V8BB.
Thanks to everyone for their patience and the QSOs.

Happy Holidays!
-Dean - N6DE