[3830] Stew Perry K8ND M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Stew Perry K8ND M/S HP
From: jmaass@columbus.rr.com (jmaass@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 09:47:14 -0500 (EST)
                     Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K8ND
Operator(s): K8ND, K1LT
Station: K8ND

Class: M/S HP
Grid Square: EN80
Operating Time (hrs): 14

QSOs:  384  Score: 1,209

Club: MRRC

Comments:

EQUIPMENT:
      FT1000MP (Single radio)
      Alpha 91B Amplifier @ 1500W
      Inv-L (45-foot vertical section)
      ~280' NE/SW 2-wire Beverage
      ~420' E/W 2-wire Beverage
      ~300' NW/SE 2-wire Beverage
      ~190' N/S 2-wire Beverage
      Software: NA 10.52

Our goal this year was to maximize QSOs and Grids, and so we operated with High
Power. With the current scoring system in place, this once again meant we were
*not* maximizing score. Claimed score is 26 more points than last year, with 18
fewer QSOs.

Suggestion: add a "Power" indicator to the exchange, and assign points to each
station based on the distance *and* the power of both stations. Digging out a
QRP station from the noise should result in *both* stations being rewarded with
more points than working a high-power station at the same distance.

For the first half of the operating period, we had problems hearing, with snow
static on all antennas. DX conditions seemed terrible throughout; no Europe
heard (except a few "bursts" from DF2PY, not good enough for a QSO); no VK/ZL
heard, no JA heard. (We *were* listening for Europe while CQing: the NE
Beverage was given priority. Not a peep.) I see now from the Cluster that some
Europeans were hearing us: sorry we couldn't hear you!

DX worked: YV, PY, P4, KH6, KV4, KL7.

The last half of the contest seemed far slower than last year. Perhaps lousy
conditions and plans for the impending New Year's Eve celebrations sent people
to bed earlier?

Happy New Year!