[3830] W2UP RTTY Roundup score (all PSK31)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W2UP RTTY Roundup score (all PSK31)
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 01:16:50 -0000
350 QSOs x 79 mults (39/4/36) = 27,650

All PSK31 (SO2R).

Comments:
Murphy struck early. I turned everything on about 1730Z, and I was
getting no AFSK output from Radio 1. Took about 25 minutes of
tracing wires behind the rig and computer to find the loose
connection.

Once I got started, initial PSK31 activity seemed to be much
greater than last year. Unfortunately, things slowed down after the
first few hours. During the contest I worked at least 5 stations who
said "you are my first PSK31 QSO." I helped several of them lower
their gain enough to eliminate all those sidebands up and down the
band... Too many guys gave me a report before I acknowledged
them.  Too many guys (especially EUs) had no idea there was a
contest going on, and this led to a lot of mini-rag chews (not that
there was a shortage of time for this, hi). Overall, about 100 more
QSOs than last year - I'm sure the second radio had a lot to do
with that.

40 and 80 had almost no PSK activity. Therefore, I missed a lot of
"easy" close-in mults.  I worked NOBODY in 1-land. I thought I was
going to miss NY, but worked a couple Sunday afternoon! Others
missed were KY, DE, and SD (I did work ND!) The only "big gun"
worked was Ron, K5DJ. Wonder if any of you other guys checked
out PSK?

Highight  of the weekend (though no the contest) was working
3Y0C on 40 SSB, Saturday night, for a 5 band sweep - now for
RTTY!

73 Barry

Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com