[3830] CQ160 CW VA3RU SO LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW VA3RU SO LP
From: Lajos Laki" <canaham@sympatico.ca (Lajos Laki)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 12:56:53 -0500
                      CQ 160 METER CONTEST -- 19101

      Call: VA3RU                    Country:  Canada
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator Low Power

               QSO   QSO PTS  STATES COUNTRIES

     Totals    615    3037      55      16    =   215,627

Hello,

This was my second 160 CW LP contest.
I am living in an apartment building and the apex of my Inv Vee is about 200
feet. One end goes over to the other building (210' at the end) and the
other leg goes down in about 75 degrees. Works pretty good on TX. Not much
space for RX ant though. I tried to put up something for RX and finally
ended up with an 80m long loop shape something... It's not bad.
Before the contest I wrkd many EUs and thought it's gonna be the same in the
contest but it didn't. First night started pretty good, EA8 with 599 (never
hrd me) and G3N also strong. However CONDX died down and I couldn't hear a
thing from EU, and I mean it. Not even a single EU I could hear. I thought
something wrong with the ant or radio. West was coming in nicely so the ant
and radio must be OK (at least I think). Even KH6 came back on the first
call and many W6 and 7 called in. It was awesome because last year I had to
fight for even one CA QSO. Got all the states except AK. Second night was
even better for West Coast.
EU came up a bit at their sun rise so I wrkd 4 or 5 of them before I got so
tired that I had to take a nap at 08:00 z. I must have been very tired
because I wake up 30 minutes before the contest ended at 15:30...hi (Helping
my friend moving on Saturday until about 23:30z is not a good combination
with contest).
I have red some of the comments about very good EU opening...
So the question is: is there anything wrong with my ant or my radio? I'll
try to figure it out before the SSB part...hi
Except having an iron curtain between EU and me I had lots of fun, wrkd my
first VE7, KH6, XE, FY, V31.
If you know a good RX ant that is small and works please let me know.
Thanks for calling me.

(Will be in VY1 during ARRL CW; VY1DX, VY1/VA3RU and VY1/VA3EU-Geo)

73 es  DX

Lali  VA3RU

Equipment Description:

Club Affiliation: