[3830] CQ160 CW N9RV Multi HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N9RV Multi HP
From: pbarkey@bsu.edu (pbarkey@bsu.edu)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:19:32 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N9RV
Operator(s): W8LVN N9RV
Station: N9RV

Class: Multi HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

QSOs: 902  States/Provinces: 56  Countries: 36  Score: 226,760

Comments:

Had a ball operating with my buddy W8LVN, who has been super-excited
about 160 ever since he came back from YJ0PD.  The snow made his drive
from Chicago, normally 4.5 hours, into something like 8.

Put up my "temporary" inverted L for its first trial in a real
DX contest (it is used only for NAQP at the moment).  With some
more radials and an amplifier, it was a pleasant surprise.

Very tough snow static on Friday night.  First hours were especially
bad, with s8 noise.  But Carribeans were super loud, and we got
about 20 EU towards 0600z as things began to settle a bit outside.

Saturday night was super quiet and we had a lot of fun DXing.  Managed
to get through to 4X3A and C4A, which was about all the little inverted
L here could manage.  Heard UA6LV, RA6NX, LX1NO, and some others that
we couldn't get to respond.

A very enjoyable contest.  The activity was good, but not so high that
it was impossible to find a clear freq to CQ.  We did a lot of tuning,
which probably hurt our score, but it was fun to find our own DX and
work it.  The frequency "sharing" by stations on the NA and EU continents
was interesting.  It was like there was a contest going on on two separate
universes!

Congrats to K9DX and KE9I for the super scores.