[3830] CQ160 CW VE3FU SO LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW VE3FU SO LP
From: ve3fu@rac.ca (ve3fu@rac.ca)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:30:50 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VE3FU
Operator(s): VE3FU
Station: VE3FU

Class: SO LP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs): 26.5

QSOs: 566  States/Provinces: 54  Countries: 20  Score: 209,790

Comments:

TS-430S (no filters!)
0.25wl balloon supported vertical with 4 x 0.25wl elevated radials
2 x 600' Beverages, NE & SW

My first serious effort in this contest.  Worked all the US multipliers except
DC and ND.  I never heard either of them.  Worked VE7, VE6, VE3, VE2, VE1, VY2,
and VO1.  I heard VE9WH and VE4AAU S&Ping up the band but couldn't get their
attention.  I had several DX multipliers call me, including: SP, CT3, KP4, and
GW.  Countries heard but not worked include: 5B4, HA, 9A, P4, XE, and VK6 (all
CQing and either CQ'ed in my face or had such huge pile-ups that I figured it
would be a waste of time to join).  I also heard an EA9 and a PA S&Ping.  Best
DX was probably RW2F or the two KH6's.

I lost 4 hours due to problems with the vertical.  The wind picked up on
Saturday and kept blowing the balloons into the trees and bursting them.  After
going through 3 balloons (I used 2 balloons to support the vertical, one in the
middle and one at the top), and only having a total of 6 balloons, I figured
I'd better wait until the wind dropped a bit to take my chances with the last
of my balloons.  I was off from 2300Z to 2330Z and again from 0000Z to 0330Z,
which was prime time for the casual US/VE operator.  This was my first time
trying a balloon supported vertical.  I learned a lot.

Congratulations to Lali VA3RU for what looks like the top VE and NA score in
SOLP!