[3830] RTTY WPX W0ETC SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX W0ETC SOAB HP
From: W0ETC@ix.netcom.com (W0ETC@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:26:07 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ/RJ RTTY WPX Contest

Call: W0ETC
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: IOWA
Operating Time (hrs): 31.5

   80:     71
   40:    125
   20:    262
   15:    366
   10:    449
-------------------------------
Total:   1273 x    447  =  1,359,774

Club: TCG

Comments:

At times WPX RTTY seemed like a contest of overcoming obstacles than a radio
contest. First there was the top TH-7 which was aimed at a 70 degree heading
and would not rotate.  This was due to a thrust bearing frozen with ice from
freezing rain Thursday PM.  The lower side mounted TH-7 initially wouldn't
rotate, but after repeated efforts it did. However, wire antennas loaded
with ice a quarter of an inch thick were drooping down and limiting the
rotation to 270 to 10 degrees.  Also, due to the ice on the TH-7s the SWR on
20 meters was 2.5/1 in the RTTY portion of the band.

Also, due to the ice the and damaged antennas at two sites the local packet
cluster was out of commission.  And, I had just learned in this one you can
use packet without being in an assisted category or reclassified to multi
op.  No packed meant less of a chance at getting that rare multiplier (e.g.,
WQ6).

Given the antenna and packet situation by the start of the contest I was
prepared for a score that would not be what I hoped to achieve.  Then after
the first 6 Qs I realized something was wrong with the logging software.
The Qs were showing but the points were not counting.

 In the end this turned out to be case of stupid operator error in selecting
the wrong contest module.  It took me a few minutes to figure this out,
create a new log with the correct module, and reenter the first six Qs.  I
had tested the module before the contest but evidently I had not paid
attention to the "band summary" (score window).  Lesson learned.  Otherwise
with the exception of occasional operator glitches my logging software
(WriteLog 10.22B) ran without any problems.

After the above and in light of the antenna problems I was about ready to
shut down and head up stairs for a few hours of TV.  Then I reminded myself
that you learn and grow through rough times and decided to stick with it.

Though my score will probably not merit a certificate, I was pleased with my
achievement.  I managed to average almost 42 Qs/hr which is not a bad rate
for single op single radio in a RTTY contest.  I leaned you can work South
America off the back of a TH-7 that is pointed at Asia.  In fact I even
broke pile-ups on HC8N and VP5JM off the back.  Also,I worked more Europeans
than I though I would with antennas aimed at 70 and 10 degrees (from here
35-45 degrees is good for most of Europe).

Thought the contest I ran two RTTY windows.  One of them for the DSP 599ZX
and in the other window that same radio as sound card FSK.  99% of the time
they both copied the same, but on rare occasion one copied better than the
other.  However, sometimes it was the 599ZX and other times the sound card
that seemed to have the better copy.   I never could figure out exactly the
conditions present when one of them seemed to work better.

I think my biggest thrills of the contest were having P43P, VP5JM, and a
South American answer my  80 meter CQs and on 10 having a TA3 and FK8 call
me.