[3830] NA9D ARRL DX SSB SOAB HP Assisted

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NA9D ARRL DX SSB SOAB HP Assisted
From: na9d@mindspring.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 20:30:00 -0600
ARRL International DX Contest SSB

Call Used: NA9D
Category: Single Op, All Band High Power Assisted

Band        Qs         Mults

10          59          29
15          34          27
20          24          19
40          17          13
80           0           0
160          0           0

Total:     134          88

Claimed Score: 35,376

Hours of Operation: Sunday Afternoon  - about 4 to 5 hours

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Couldn't play full time in this one.  Wife and I had a dinner party Saturday
night.  So Friday night and Saturday were spent getting ready.  Turned on
the radio after Church on Sunday.  Most Qs were done by S&P.  Never really
ran a frequency at all.  Tried calling CQ a few times and started working a
few guys.  Then my wife said I was interfering with her TV (new cable box)!
So I put some big torroids on the box and the interference was gone!  After
that though, I never really got many responses to CQs.  From what I could
tell, most of the big gun USA stations had the same luck I did.  I was
amazed to go down to 20m and hear a big US station about every 4 kcs
shouting CQ and never getting an answer.  My impression was that Sunday
afternoon condx just were stinky.  Not many DX stations tuning around
listening for CQers.  The DX were all calling!

Highlight of the day was being KH0AC's last QSO and working 9M0M on 20 on
the first call (I think WB9Z was operating) via long path.  Worked 9M0M on
10m as my last QSO.

Congrats to K9PG for his awesome job at ZF2NT.  Hopefully Paul and my DVS
set a record!  :-)

73,

Jon
NA9D