[3830] ARRLDX SSB N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N4TZ/9 SOAB LP
From: n4tz@arrl.net (n4tz@arrl.net)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 11:03:02 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:      7      6
   80:     48     39
   40:     86     46
   20:    179     63
   15:    313     80
   10:    517     88
----------------------
Total:   1150    322  =  1,101,240

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

As I munched my pre-contest, first Friday of Lent, cheese sandwich, I took
 comfort in the knowledge that Murphy must be Catholic.  The rotor, which
 stopped turning early in the ARRL CW contest is still stuck on Europe.
 This results in my only 20 and 40 meter antennas being stuck in the
 direction of the most contacts.  Unfortunately, my 20 and 40 contacts
 and multipliers will end up being far short of last years, because I
 miss all those juicy multipliers in SA, the Pacific, etc.  NO JA on 20
 or 40 meters.  Fortunately, my low band antennas have improved from last
 year, when I just had one lazy vee for 80m.  This year, my 40 square on
 80m with my 75' high AKI special on 160m bring my final total score back
 to last year's level, which was #11 in the LP overall standings.  Maybe
 someone will stumble and I will crawl into the Top 10.

 Other station improvements include a Heil headset to replace the hand
 mike borrowed from the 2m rig and a W9XT contest card which saves my
 voice in all of those pileups.  The net results was an improvement in
 fun all out of proportion to the 50k increase in raw score.

 During the Thursday night installation and testing of the DVK, my
 computer monitor started to act up.  Fortunately, I had borrowed a
 second montior from K9MI and slapped it into place before the contest
 started.  When I first booted up the computer Friday, the monitor
 "squegged" before bursting into the 50 line VGA mode, so it may not
 be the monitor but the PC's integrated video chip.  No more slots
 in the old computer for a replacement video card (the last slot
 used for the DVK card), so did not turn off the computer until the
 contest was over.

 This week is spring break - if the weather holds I will climb the tower
 to bring down the rotor and check it out in the shack.  It turns a
 total of 2 degrees, then stops.  It will then go back 2 degrees and
 stop again.  Over and over again.  Sigh.  At least the ring rotor on
 my second 10/15 meter antennas again functioned perfectly.