[3830] ARRLDX SSB K1VR SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K1VR SOAB LP
From: hopengarten@post.harvard.edu (hopengarten@post.harvard.edu)
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:08:38 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1VR
Operator(s): K1VR
Station: K1VR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 34.4
Radios: SO2R

  160:      0      0
   80:     76     43
   40:    123     58
   20:    307     82
   15:    270     81
   10:    578     92
----------------------
Total:   1354    356  =  1,442,868

Club: YCCC

Comments:

Actually started the contest at the start of the contest, for a change. This
was the first DX Phone contest I've ever entered with low power, and it was
even lower than necessary, as I couldn't seem to coax more than 60 watts output
from my newly purchased FT-1000MP -- which proved to be a problem on 40, where
every watt was necessary to overcome EU broadcast QRM.

Hqaving operated in the assisted category in previous years, I must say that
"no packet means no packet pileups." This makes for a a calmer contest, which
was ncie. However, it was still a phone conetst, which means that it was hard
to find a frequency on 20 or 15 to call CQ.

After the conetst, I learned why 160 was so bad -- as A and K indices were
high.

Employing a new footswitch system finally allowed me to know with certainty to
which audio thread (RUN or MULT) I was listening.

Thank goodness the really big snowstorm held off a day.