[3830] ARRLDX SSB N4KG SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N4KG SOAB HP
From: N4KG@JUNO.com (N4KG@JUNO.com)
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 00:51:07 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: ALA
Operating Time (hrs): 34

  160:      3      3
   80:     14     11
   40:     64     46
   20:    192     69
   15:    253     77
   10:    378     85
----------------------
Total:    904    291  =  789,192

Club: NADXC

Comments:

Started the contest very tired from prior cold followed by dental work
Wednesday and it showed in MANY short beaks Friday and Saturday. Highbands
almost idental to last year except 10/15M monobanders stuck on EU all day and
night Saturday due to a broken gear tooth and no wind, therefore no JA or
Pacific Saturday evening.  I've come to expect that I can work almost anything
I hear on the highbands QRP through the judicial use of strategic timing and
that followed suit again this year.  Activity seemed down on 15M.

40M simply blew my mind.  Signals were outstanding and in spite of a late
arrival Friday night (0600) and sleeping from 0300 to 0900 Saturday, I ended up
with 46 multipliers including RU1A, RW2F, RV0AR (in zone 18 no less), EU3AR,  3
JA's and LU4FM.  Incredible distances for 5W on a band covered with Broadcast
QRM! Several easy western Europeans were missed due to insufficient time spent
on the band.  Congratulations to XA5T, ZF2NT, and 6Y8A for pulling my 5W signal
through the noise on 160M!  80M suffered even more from insufficient time on
the band, totally missing the European opening.

Paper logging / duping  made for extra work and hampered my rate in the early
openings.  It's time for a new logging computer to replace the expired 286!

Maybe next year I will rest _before_ the contest :-)

de  Tom  N4KG / QRP   in North Alabama  (300 miles S of W9RE)