[3830] ARRLDX SSB VP9/W6PH SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VP9/W6PH SOAB LP
From: w6ph@aol.com (w6ph@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:16:40 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VP9/W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station:

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs): 35

  160:
   80:    347     46
   40:    379     48
   20:    853     54
   15:    777     58
   10:    423     48
----------------------
Total:   2779    254  =  2,117,598

Club: YCCC

Comments:

TS930S+Piexx, DVK-100, Cushcraft AV-5 (80-10) and R6000 (20-10)
I used a very simple setup and had a great time.  I wish that I had put
some effort into a 160 m antenna, but ran out of time before I left
NH.  The Piexx board worked great in my TS930S and allowed me instant
QSY.  I was asked to move to other bands many times and it was fast and
easy.  It was a lot easier to get multipliers to move for me as a VP9 than
a KH6!!!  I had been told how hard it was to work the east coast on 10
meters, but it was like a shield.  There were no strong signals east of
a north-south line from Ohio to Georgia.  I eked out a few mults with
stations I moved from 15, but only a few were successful.  I could have
made up this deficit by being on 160.  It is a real rush when the 10 QSO
meter hovers around 300.  I had several 180 qso hours.  My host, Ed Kelly,
VP9GE, was an extremely gracious and interesting fellow.  This was the first
time that I took all my gear with me.  The TS930S can get pretty heavy
carrying it around the terminals.  I didn't take my IC706 because of concern
for a high SWR on the antennas.  But the antennas had low SWRs where I needed
it and the 706 would have been a better choice logistically.  But the TS930S
is still a great radio, especially with the Piexx board.  Thanks for all
the contacts.  QSLs are being printed and will be ready around April 10th.
(I have QSLs and logs for my KH6/W6PH contests 1999 ARRL CW, 2000 ARRL CW,
2000 CQWW CW, and 2001 ARRL CW.)  Please QSL direct to my NH address.
73, Kurt