[3830] WPX SSB NS4T SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB NS4T SOAB LP
From: knason@emeraldis.com (knason@emeraldis.com)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:06:49 -0500 (EST)
                     CQWW WPX - SSB

Call: NS4T
Operator(s): NS4T
Station: NS4T

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: SC, USA
Operating Time (hrs): 34

  160:
   80:     43
   40:     53
   20:    235
   15:    214
   10:    240
-------------------------------
Total:    785 x    445  =  848,170

Club: Not Affiliated

Comments:

Many comments in the reflectors have basically said "Winning
is everything".  Personnally I disagree with that mentality.
Doing the best you can with what you have is my goal.

I'm particularly proud of this score.  Why?  I've been licensed for
over 25 years.  Until last fall, my contesting time was 3-4 hour a
contest handing out multiplier or QSO points.  I'm not a DX'er.
Never owned a tower.  A 20 year Navy career made those things difficult.
Last fall I decided to take contesting more seriously.  This is my
second major effort.  I seem to be about in the middle of the pack.
Pretty good considering my station:

Kenwood TS-570D with stock Kenwood 1.8 Khz filter.
A4S at 25 feet.
MFJ 1793 vertical: fourty-four 33 ft radials, and four 126 ft radials.
Ground is predominately clay so not much help there.
I live 200 miles from the ocean so no help at all from it.
Completely unassisted.  No VHF/UHF, telephone or Internet spots.

I read another comment that 'an excellent operator with a good station
will normally beat a good operator with an excellent station'.  That's
my way of thinking.  I'm learning how to break a pileup and how to catch
the multipliers I need as they move up and down the band.  I take pleasure
in doing so well since I'm a new contestor with a mediocre station.  I
read a lot and would like to thank all of you who write about contesting.
You've been a big help and brought another Ham into the contesting field.
Maybe someday I'll be an excellent operator with a good station.
Watch me then!!!