[3830] WPX CW NV7A(K7NV) SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX CW NV7A(K7NV) SOAB HP
From: k7nc@contesting.com (k7nc@contesting.com)
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 18:20:19 -0400 (EDT)
                     CQWW WPX - CW

Call: NV7A
Operator(s): K7NV
Station: K7NV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NV
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:     18
   40:    305
   20:    629
   15:   1017
   10:     56
-------------------------------
Total:   2025 x    677  =  3,875,148

Club: NCCC

Comments:

Thanks to K5RC for getting talked into acquiring the new NACHO club call, and
letting me use it. The number of insistent dupers tells me it got miscopied
quite a bit. The highest computer logged dupe rate I've had since getting back
on the air. Not a problem, more fun to log the dupe, after trying to talk him
out of it, than not working the guys that aren't calling at the time.

This was the first contest here with a full 2R HP station. Two low tribanders
with amps are better than one. A 33% improvement over last years 2R, 1
tribander, 1 amp, T/S score. This is a lot less crazy to operate, so it had a
higher fun factor. Actually thought I was operating a real contest station a
couple of times. The aging process is often underated!

I heard 1 loud Italian on 10m skewed path Sunday, but he couldn't hear me.
Hearing others work'em is not quite as much fun as doing it yourself. There
were JA's on 10, but like 15m (down 50% this year), there wasn't a lot of
activity.

The 15m opening into EU Sat nite was one of the most pleasant experiences I've
had since getting back on at the new qth. For 3 hours the S meter never moved
and a lot of guys (includung the qrp'ers) went in the log. Too bad that doesn't
happen more often.
A Sunday morning segment was a real hoot, thanks to whomever made the packet
spot, it was undeniably an EU packet pileup, and made things fun for a while.
Great job by the guys at the other end, who worked real hard to help me get
thru the pile and get them in the log, amongst all the bedlam and freq bandits.

20M into EU was the usual root canal, specially when it was THE place to be.
I'm still trying to figure out what the right strategy is for not being able to
hold any frequency (even the digital ones) and finding every S&P signal a dupe.
Maybe, try better contesting through modern chemistry, anybody that survived
the 60's got any hot tips?

Heard no EU on 40m, just lots of US working them. The JA runs netted the same
as last year, but were more pleasant as the 4 square hears a lot better than
last years single vertical or low inv vee.

80m was down a bit from last year. Only 13 JA's instead of 15, same antennas.
Probably a cockpit error, gotta work on that important one.

JA totals were down 22% from last year, but EU was up 50% thanks only to the
15m openings.

This is still a great contest for this end of the continent, happy to be able
to get back into it after so long. The propagation makes it way more fun than
any of the other DX contests, I.E. one can actually run EU for more that a
couple of hours a weekend. And, the points change for stateside q's makes it
seem like a lot more fun to run around and find all those 1 pointers when
that's about all there is to do.

Since, I contest for fun (my definition), the report from here is "mission
accomplished."
Except, for waking up from those short naps and wondering what I'm supposed to
do with all this stuff. That part seems to be getting harder. Finding a place
to push the cq button seems to work, someone will eventually come along and
force you to become coherent, and get into the "Oh crap! I better get with it!"
mode. Then the only problem is figuring out what "IT" is :-)

Sounds like most of the rest had fun too, gotta love that!

--
73, Kurt