[3830] WPX CW VE7UF M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VE7UF M/S HP
From: ve7uf@home.com (ve7uf@home.com)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 21:07:58 -0400 (EDT)
                     CQWW WPX - CW

Call: VE7UF
Operator(s): VE7ZO, VE7RG, VE7UF
Station: VE7UF

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Courtenay,
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:
   80:     46
   40:    379
   20:   1011
   15:    951
   10:    125
-------------------------------
Total:   2512 x    846  =  6,355,152

Club:

Comments:

Last year Jim (ve7zo) and myself (ve7uf) operated this contest semi seriously
as an M/S in shifts with only a run station.  After Jim left on Saturday my
computer crashed at 10 PM ending the contest with an outburst of innovative
sequences of 4 letter words my wife made me promise to forget forever.
However, I enjoyed my first M/S experience and hoped to advenge last year's
disaster this year.  I recruited Jim (VE7ZO) and Alex (VE7RG) to operate with
me in another M/S effort.

I configured the runstation with a TS850 (newly aquired) and a henry 3K to the
antennas on an 80 foot tower.  This tower supports an extensively modified
Mosley PRO 67C that now has 6 elements: 3 on 40, 3 on 20, 3 on 15, and 4 on 10
at 81 ft turned by a T2X.  At 41 ft there is a side mounted TH6 turned by a Ham
4.  The switch box provides either or both options and includes a 50 ohm to 25
ohm transformer in the both mode.  The conditions were so good that we used the
both mode with the TH6 at either JA or US and the Mosley at EU most of the time
instead of both in the same direction.  An 80M 4 square provided only one short
JA run.  The multi station consists of a TS140 with switchable HB bandpass
filters inserted in the rx side of the antenna relay.  It drives an SB201 and a
TH5 turned by an HD300 rewired to be controled from a Ham 4 control box (it
works just fine believe it or not) on a seperate 60 ft tower.  Each station has
a 166mhz computer in network with CT9.5.  We used a 633mhz computer on the
internet via @ home.com.  It was a big help to the mult station later in the
contest.

Alex is 80 years old and had not used a computer real time in a contest.  I
marked the function keys for him but he still looked bewildered at the start of
the contest.  Alex has great staying power and caught on fast.  Jim couldn't
arrive until 2 hours into the contest.  He operated the run station most of the
time only sleeping 7 hours of the entire contest, leaving me to operate the run
station while he slept.  Jim operated at his usual world class perfection.

The equipment was perfect without a single problem.  My wife, Peggy, kept us in
coffee and contest grub.  We are all delighted with the results.  The depth of
the EU openings added extra zip to the contest.  The run station never cooled
off and it seemed all the multipliers we called came back after the first or
second call.  Last year's disaster is advenged with a score that (if it stands)
surpasses the Canadian multi op records from a west coast station!  We are
aware that the single op record is greater than the multi op record, but we are
still happy to overcome a previous record.  In fact, I'm amazed.

Our thanks to all that called and we hope you had a good time too.

Duane Sandmeyer VE7UF