[3830] WPX CW KN7Y SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KN7Y SOAB LP
From: kn7y@qsl.net (kn7y@qsl.net)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:02:18 -0400 (EDT)
                     CQWW WPX - CW

Call: KN7Y
Operator(s):
Station: KN7Y

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 33

  160:
   80:     14
   40:    160
   20:    352
   15:    450
   10:    133
-------------------------------
Total:   1109 x    522  =  1,339,452

Club: CADXA

Comments:

For the contest enthusiasts...

After two years of "heavy" contesting from home, then a short pause, this
contest brought some challenges.  Last year placing 6th in the USA top 10
(single op low power) poses a question: "will it be done again?"  The answer is
"yes" and "no."  Any attorney or accountant could tell you.

The intention was good, and outside temps reaching into the 100's while trying
to extend an 80 meter sloper with a long piece of wire around the yard would be
great indication to anyone that an increased score was on the horizon.  During
the contest, conditions seemed better than last year, and participants' serial
numbers were well into the 1,000's, plus.

As usual, it was great to hear AA7A, N7IR, KC7V...

Jack....

After the contest, this is what I wrote to a good friend...

Well, the contest was over for me at about 1,111 QSO's, very tired and the last
hour of a contest is either chasing about 5 multi's or calling endless CQ's
with no answer, so at about 3:30 pm (AZ) I just decided to check around on 10 /
15 / 20 (there's not much going on in AZ on 40 at that time).  I stopped early
with my last QSO with P49V and went to my parents for a family memorial weekend
get-together where several of us "extras" listened to the bands for a while.

Last year, I made all of my meals early, had a cooler with water and sodas and
sandwiches in the shack and no one was home, and it was like cramming for a
final exam during college days.  I think the CONDX were better this year,
noticing a lot of QSO rates above 1,000 except mine for a long time -- I hunted
and pounced most of the time and just couldn't seem to run CQ's like before.
The bands have a different characteristic between the East and West coasts,
with 40 and 80 opening later here, so that makes a difference.

This year, we (now) have a dog (looks like the RCA dog Nipper) and Luana and
Jack were home, so I couldn't turn my family away when there was attention
needed.  I spent hours in the heat trying to rig up something for 160 prior to
the contest, with no success -- an AM radio station nearby just does me in,
sadly.  This year, I saw the prefix count top last year's, with less effort on
40 (sleeping), a little more on 80 and a bunch more on 10.  The JA's just
weren't there for us west-coast-advantage guys, although I looked desperately.
In the past, there were moments when I would run JA's for several hours, with
multiple calls per CQ, and rates over 100 for a small station.  This did not
happen in 2001.