[3830] GU0SUP SOAB ANARTS 2001

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] GU0SUP SOAB ANARTS 2001
From: Phil Cooper GU0SUP" <pcooper@guernsey.net (Phil Cooper GU0SUP)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:16:40 +0100
Hi one and all...............

Well, what a contest! And with conditions described as poor!!!
The DK0WCY announcements showed the K index to be up as far as 5 on the
Saturday afternoon, with mostly 3 being reported over the whole weekend.
The 6m boys were enjoying all sorts of good propagation, but what happened
to 10m for us?
Despite all that, I still beat last years score, so I am happy with that.

Anyway, here is my soapbox:
Didn't get started until late into the contest, so missed out on something I
am sure.
Highlights were working MJ/DL1ZBO on 10, 15, 20 & 40m, which should give you
an idea of just how rare it is for a GJ to be on RTTY! Having ZL2AMI call
me! And working SEVEN continents on 15m, although I can only count six of
them for the mult. I got EM1HO for the seventh.
Had a keyboard chat with Eddie W6/G0AZT just when I thought propagation
would preclude me getting the W6 mult.
I had hoped to find George W1ZT on 40m late on the Saturday evening here,
but all I could hear were Europeans. by about 0030, I was too bushed to last
any longer, so had to gop to bed. I got up early (for me!) and was in the
shack by about 0440, and by that time 40m was well closed.

Out of desperation with stray RF, I had a go at getting WF1B interfaced with
MMTTY in the week before the contest, and this is what I used for ANARTS. I
have to say that it performed very well, and I found a few advantages in
using this combination. I have been used to a "dumb terminal" type TU so
far, and with that, you cannot do anything in WF1B while it is transmitting.
With MMTTY set as a KAM, I found that I can move around the fields, look at
my score, etc etc whilst transmitting, and this was handy!
It was also useful to be able to send directly from MMTTY too. It gave me
the possibility of using the macros within MMTTY to be able to send various
things, instead of using Ctrl-F7 and modifying the WF1B macros on the fly.
I guess it is relevant to note that I now run WIN98SE with TWO monitors, so
the main screen is WF1B, and on the other I have MMTTY and my packet cluster
software tiled, so I can quickly see the tuning window. I find that having
the cluster seperate from WF1B is better, although I can't click on the
spots and QSY, but I rarely did that anyway. Besides, the frequencies depend
on whether you use FSK, AFSK, and which sideband you operate on!

So, enough of that, here is my result for the weekend:

ANARTS WW Digital 2001

Call used: GU0SUP
Location:  Guernsey

Entry Class: Single Op, All Band (low power)
Band    QSOs   Pts  Dist    DX  Cont
80          0         0      0       0     0
40         18       58      0      12     1
20       138     1169    11      41     5
15         69     645     7      30     7
10         26     160     0       13     2
-----   ----  ----  ----  ----  ---- ----- -----
Total    251  2032    18    96     6

VK Bonus Points
80        0
40        0
20      200
15        0
10        0
-----------
Total   200

--------------------------------------

Claimed Score: 1390088

Software: RTTY by WF1B  v5.01

Power Output: 60 Watts
TU = MMTTY by JE3HHT

Operating time was about 22 hours with plenty of breaks!

"I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations
established for amateur radio in my country. My report is correct
and true to the best of my knowledge. I agree to be bound by the
decisions of the Awards Committee."

Phil Cooper GU0SUP
1 Clos au Pre
la Hougue du Pommier