[3830] W5KFT ARRL June VHF M/L EM10

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W5KFT ARRL June VHF M/L EM10
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:49:47 -0500
     2001 ARRL June VHF QSO Party

    Contest Dates : 09-Jun-01, 10-Jun-01, 11-Jun-01
    Callsign Used : W5KFT
     Station Used : W5KFT
        Operators : W5KFT, K5TR, WM5R, NE5RO, KD5JZV
         Category : Multi-Operator Limited High Power (M/L)
         Location : EM00st
          Section : South Texas (STX)
          Country : United States

    6CW       14          14         14       5
    6SSB     479         479        455     152
    2CW        2           2          2       1
    2SSB     123         123        117      31
  222SSB      28          28         56      15
  432CW        3           3          6       3
  432SSB      47          47         94      16

 Totals      696         696        744     223

    Claimed Score = 165,912 points.

--

      6M was essentially dead all day Saturday.  At the very beginning of the
contest, it was open to the north central US and central Canada, places

     The band was open someplace for most of the day Sunday,  but we never
really hit our "bread and butter" QSO areas.  In the morning, the band
was open to Michigan and Chicago and the northern portions of Ohio and
Indiana, but it never opened up to the lower portions of W8/W9, and we had
only a very few contacts in all of W4 until a late opening to Florida
that started around 2122.  Our best peak 10-minute rate on the band was
132/hr right around 1244 Sunday morning.  We worked some 6M DX Sunday
afternoon.  Countries worked this contest included: W, VE, XE, C6, ZF,
CO, and KP4.  The Caribbean countries were all worked between 2220 and 0017.

     Conditions on 2M were not spectacular.  The best tropo distance was
W0ETT in DM86 at ~450 miles.  We also worked nearly that far into EM25
and EM35 in Oklahoma.  There was no noticable tropo enhancement in any
direction.  Tropical Storm Allison destroyed any chance of tropo over the
Gulf (and probably reduced the level of activity from the Houston area.)
There were only a few serious rovers, and none of them chose to visit the
west Texas grids or the grids south of San Antonio.  In the last hour,
however, we experienced a brief Eskip opening that netted two contacts
in new grids: DM26 (Las Vegas, NV) and CM88 (SF Bay area, CA.)  Had the
opening been to the NE instead of the west, Ken probably would have
worked more stations.

     Conditions on 222 and 432 were not spectacular either.  The best DX on
432 was to W0ETT in DM86 at ~450 miles.  There was no tropo enhancement on
either of these bands.  We made 8 and 12 fewer QSOs on 222 and 432,
respectively, than we did two years ago, but worked almost the same number of
grids.  On 144, we worked 15 fewer contacts, but the same number of grids.
Tropical Storm Allison and HamCom in Dallas probably adversely affected
the number of more casual entrants from Houston and north Texas.

     Overall, the station worked well.  Bryan's Henry 3006 kilowatt amplifier
on 6M wouldn't play (no HV,) so we ended up using a Henry 3CX800A7 amplifier
we had to retrieve from Austin on Saturday morning.  We had to turn the 6M
radio drive down to 20W, and that got us a little over 600W output.  The
rotor for the higher 144 Cushcraft yagi had a sticking point in it, which was
annoying,  but around 7PM or 8PM Saturday, that antenna went deaf and couldn't
hear anything, anyway.  George suspects a loose connection somewhere.  We
still had a lower M2 144 yagi that worked pretty well.  The paddles couldn't
be made to work on the 2M radio.  It turns out that the pullup voltage was
not working on that computer interface, and it was sending dih/dah over and
over.  So, instead we had to use the computer keyboard for sending CW
on that band, which led to some awkward contacts.  We had line noise the
entire contest, predominantly to the west, and at one point we had to deal
with ignition noise from nearby power boats.

--

Rate

  HOUR    6CW     6SSB    2CW     2SSB  222SSB  432CW   432SSB   TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
   18       1      19       0      15       3       0       4      42      42
   19       2      10       0       6       4       0       6      28      70
   20       1       5       0      11       0       0       2      19      89
   21       0       5       0       5       2       0       2      14     103
   22       0       2       0       5       2       0       2      11     114
   23       4       3       0       2       1       0       1      11     125
    0       1       0       0       1       0       0       0       2     127
    1       0       2       0       2       0       0       0       4     131
    2       2       3       0       9       2       0       1      17     148
    3       0       5       0       9       0       0       3      17     165
    4       0       9       0       4       0       0       0      13     178
    5       0       4       0       3       1       0       1       9     187
    6       0       1       0       1       0       0       0       2     189
    7       0      14       0       1       1       0       1      17     206
    8       0      28       0       1       1       0       1      31     237
    9       0       4       0       0       0       0       0       4     241
   10       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0     241
   11       0      11       0       3       0       0       0      14     255
   12       0      47       0       3       0       0       1      51     306
   13       0      53       0       2       0       0       0      55     361
   14       0      38       0       0       0       0       0      38     399
   15       0      19       0       3       1       2       0      25     424
   16       0      10       0       3       1       0       2      16     440
   17       0       2       1       3       1       0       0       7     447
   18       0       4       0       3       1       0       4      12     459
   19       0      27       1       0       1       0       0      29     488
   20       0      24       0       1       0       0       0      25     513
   21       2      14       0       3       0       0       3      22     535
   22       0      26       0       3       1       0       1      31     566
   23       1      23       0       4       2       1       2      33     599
    0       0      24       0       5       1       0       3      33     632
    1       0      28       0       6       1       0       5      40     672
    2       0      15       0       6       1       0       2      24     696

  TOTAL    14     479       2     123      28       3      47

--

QSO Distribution, All Bands

   1.         em10   50
   2.         em12   33
   3.         em00   28
   4.         en52   23
   5.         em13   22
   6.         el09   22
   7.         en62   16
   8.         dm13   16
   9.         el96   16
  10.         em01   14
  11.         dm04   14
  12.         en72   13
  13.         el29   12
  14.         en82   12
  15.         en61   12
  16.         em22   11
  17.         en63   11
  18.         en51   10
  19.         em02    9
  20.         em11    9
  21.         en73    9
  22.         el98    9
  23.         el19    8
  24.         el17    8
  25.         dm03    8
  26.         em25    7
  27.         em20    7
  28.         en53    7
  29.         dm25    7
  30.         dm14    6
  31.         dm26    6
  32.         cm98    6
  33.         cm87    6
  34.         el07    5
  35.         em04    5
  36.         dm44    5
  37.         fm19    5
  38.         en71    5
  39.         dm33    5
  40.         el87    5

The station at W5KFT (http://www.kkn.net/~w5kft/) had three operating
positions (50, 222/432, and 144), with three computers running TR LOG
networked together.  The 222 and 432 station used the Array Solutions
SO2R master to switch everything between the two radios.  We did not
use packet or FM-only equipment.  We did not use any vertically polarized
antennas.

50 MHz:  Icom IC-736
         Henry 3CX800A7 Amplifier, 600W
         6-element M2 yagi at 150' rotatable
         Stack of Cushcraft Boomers (34' boom) 38' over 18', bottom fixed NE
         5-element Cushcraft yagi at 28' fixed SE
         6-element Hygain yagi at 30' fixed WNW
         AKG 240 headphones with Heil HC-4 boom mic
         W9XT DVK
         Bencher Paddles

144 MHz: Icom IC-275H
         W6PO design 8877 Amplifier, 1000W
         M2 2M18XXX yagi at 60' rotatable
         Cushcraft 17B2 yagi at 135' rotatable
         Heil Proset (reconditioned)
         K1EA DVP
         Bencher Paddles

222 MHz: Kenwood TS-850SAT
         Downeast Microwave 222-28 Transverter
         AM-6155 8930 Amplifier, 400W
         17-element yagi at 40' rotatable
         Array Solutions SO2R Master (shared with 432)
         Heil Proset (shared with 432)
         Bencher Paddles (shared with 432)

432 MHz: Yaesu FT-736R
         Arcos 2x 4CX250 Amplifier, 400W
         31-element yagi at 65', rotatable
         Array Solutions SO2R Master (shared with 222)
         Heil Proset (shared with 222)
         Bencher Paddles (shared with 222)

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops